1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahould I wait for the Sony VPL HS50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by geordiepaul, Apr 13, 2005.

1. geordiepaul

geordiepaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was about to but my first home cinema projector a panasonic ae700, when I read about the Sony HS50. Although there have been problems reported on here about the HS50, is it worth waiting 6 weeks for a unit that has all the problems fixed? Or would I be better of getting the AE700?

I can spend up too around £1600.

I've had a look at DLP projectors but they hurt my eyes.

Thanks for your help
    Paul

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    I would say 'yes', but then I'm biased as I bought one (having demo'd them all)

3. kikekun

kikekun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm waiting for 8 weeks now and still no news of when I'm getting my unit. Don't trust any given date as Sony just seems to **** them up very easily. For me, this waiting time would be an issue for a new projector, but if you don't mind to wait for having the best LCD around, just go for it.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Presumably you've also budgetted for the other "gubbins" you'll need with a PJ - screen, bracket, cables.... better DVD player ;) ... or two ;) ;) etc etc

...PJ :)

5. geordiepaul

geordiepaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes there already budget for. The around £1600 is just for the projector.

6. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here - a big yes from me

7. souldigital

souldigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has the hs50 got some problems???

is the one available in 6-8 weeks time modified?

i was thinking of buying a hs50 is the wait purely down to supply outstripping demand or are the sony boffins tinkering away?

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    The 'problem' is that if you feed the HS50 via an HDMI signal at 720p, there is a border around the image. The latest units have a revised firmware to remove this, and old units can be upgraded.

9. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My "Yes" was in answer to your title: Should I wait for the HS50?
    You should definitely go for the HS50 if you've budgeted 1600 pounds - its the best your budget can buy. I have no problems with mine (I had a few setting it up, but thats all part of the fun!)
    From what I hear, if you order one now, you'll be in for a wait anyway!! :thumbsup:

10. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    for anyone trying to get hold of a HS50 give practical hifi a ring in manchester tel 0161 839 8869 (stores nationwide) who have the HS50 with revised firmware. i bought mine from there 6 weeks ago with old firmware and my brother in law bought his last week with hdmi issues resolved.. i am pretty sure they have a few available or can source them from other stores...and if you are still in 2 minds about buying one then dont hesitate. i am still blown away by the image it knocks out :smashin:

11. geordiepaul

geordiepaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that abs. I had a look at the Practical Hifi website, but it states that its in store only (and I don't live anywhere near any of their store). Does anyone else know of anywhere with hs50's in stock?

12. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    hi mate, it would be worth the trip, they have several pj's on demo incl hs50, pana 700 and they will do u a cracking price on the sony..

13. kgulls

kgulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Bought mine from the nearest Sony shop last week for £1499,00 plus 12 months guarantee including bulb.They have sent it back to Sony to have the updated firmware.
    The manager phoned the Sony workshops and was told the equipment needed to update these units had only just arrived and turn round would be about 2 weeks.
    He did offer to let me take the unit and Sony would pick it up by courier from home.As my room is'nt finished yet I decided I could wait.
    Incidentally,can anyone explain the logic that you get 12 months guarantee on the original bulb but only 91 days on any subsequent replacement. :confused:
    From the less than brilliant demo I was able to make in the shop I'm still glad I managed to pick one up.

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading a review on this model from the same place i got a review for the Panasonic AE700 ( rules forbid me giving the address as a clickable link but its projectorcentral )

The one significant weakness of the HS51 is in its scaling of standard definition material through the analog ports. For example, with a DVD source input via 480i or 480p through the component video port, there is an edge enhancement in the horizontal dimension that is not related to the sharpness control. This has the effect of imparting an artificial sharpness to the image which makes it appear decidedly more digital and less film-like. Once the signal is upscaled externally to 720p, bypassing the internal scaler, the artifact is eliminated and the picture is smooth and clean.

Thus there is a practical consideration in setting up and using the HS51. In order to get the best image performance, owners will want to avoid using the component, S-video, and composite video inputs ports for standard definition sources whenever possible. For DVD, one way to avoid it is to use a DVD player like V's Bravo D2, and output the signal in 720p via DVI. You will need a cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other, or a DVI/HDMI adapter to achieve this interface. But these accessories are available from outside suppliers, it is easy to do, and the picture quality is superb. This solves both the scaling and the overscan problem at the same time.

I like their reviews as they are in depth and tackle all the major issues a person buying a projector needs to know, i was considering this model before going for a Panasonic AE700 ( still waiting on firmware news but its the model i want )

Good luck folks :)

15. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Its fairly apparent from feedback in the US that Projectorcentrals reviews are not in depth at all, and simply skim the surface.

As regards the 480i scaling, here is a quote from WidescreenReview (considered in higher regard than PJC for a proper measured review:

The reviewer goes on to state he preferred this input to the that on the HDMI from an upscaling DVD player (Bravo D1)

Reviews should always be taken with a pinch of salt, because they are just opinions. The only way to buy is by a proper demo.

16. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    If it is the Projectorcentral review that i read then they appear to be plugging the iscan hd as opposed to reviewing the HS50 or 51 as it is in the states.

17. geordiepaul

geordiepaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice everyone. I managed to get a HS50 from my local sony centre, they had 1 in stock. It hasn't had the fireware update yet but will be exchanged instore when they get new stock in.

The HS50 is a fanatstic PJ even without the firmware update, the colours and sharpness of the image is simply amazing. The LCD does black very well indeed, as well as any DLP. Before deciding I had look at a £3k DLP which left me with sore eyes, and its image quality was no where near that of the HS50.

According to sony there will no more HS50 being imported for the next 8 weeks.

Paul

18. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    To geordiepaul, was this projector at the sony shop at newcaslte ??? I bet the box was not sealed because if it is i looked at it and i am suprised they sold it as i told them to send it back to sony as this unit had very terrible miss alinement panel problems and had no firmware upgrade.

I though the picture was way out of focus because of the panel alinement problems this hs50 was terrible its the worst panel alinement i had seen.

This is why i did not buy it, and decided to wait he also said i could replace it later if i bouight it but no way i was going to do that.

was the picture inverted when you got it as i had to turn the invert on as when i demoed it the sony bloke had to stavk phone books and sit it on that upside down.

If it is that unit i would 100% get it replaced as the panel alinement is way off
    the green was out and the red

and for sony shop saying 8 weeks well i dought it sony shops are not that good of getting new stock in or new models anyway just look at the online shops thay seem to be getting them now slow and small but thay are gettting them.

remember sony shop is not owned by sony its just like any other shop eg. dixons just becasue its a sony shop dont mean thay get it first i had my sony hs10 for 2 months before a sony shop even got one unit and even then if you wanted one you had to order one but wwhere i got mine the shop was getting 5 in every 2 weeks

19. kikekun

kikekun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:eek: What???!?!?!!?!?

Just sent an email to Guiltronics to confirm this, but no response so far...

20. geordiepaul

geordiepaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was in newcastle, but the box was sealed (when did you demo it?). The panels appear properly alined as I tested it for hours last night to make sure.

I got in writing that they are to be swapped of him before I left the shop. But this projector appears to have the panel alignment spot on, as after reading all the probs on here and the rest of the net I wanted to make sure.

Guess I'll have to wait 8 weeks for my new one, if I have any problems I'll let people know.