1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP or PCI ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Galaxy, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The motherboard I am contemplating for my HTPC has no AGP slot just PCI and a CNR, would there be any great difference in using the PCI based graphics cards as opposed to the often recommended AGP type, as I understood the AGP version was really only an advantage with 3D hungry games!

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Without getting too technical ;) , AGP is really the way to go now! Basically, AGP can transfer data up to 4 times faster than PCI, which yes, manifests itself in games the most. But also using AGP for graphics means the data path is for any other PCI devices is clear. Also AGP cards tend to do most of the graphics processing themselves, leaving your processor free to crunch spreadsheets, show DVDs e.t.c.

Also, new PCI graphics cards are becoming increasingly more difficult to find, and are sometimes more than their AGP equivalents.

Oh yes, using AGP means you have a PCI slot free - but there's not really much need for 5 slots these days, anyway!!

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    PCI cards are fine for DVD playback, but no good for applications such as DScaler.

Jeff

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Filling up 5 PCI slots is easy

1- Sound Card
    2- Modem / ISDN
    3- 10/100 - Gigabit Network card
    4- Capture Card
    5- Scuzie Card (cant spell it :eek:)
    6- Video editing card

the list goes on
    :eek:

5. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I DON'T THINK YOU CANEVER HAVE ANOUGH PCI SLOTS . I HAD TO DISCONNECT MY PC FROM THE NETWORK SO I COULD FIT MY CAPTURE CARD IN

THERE IS ALLWAYS SOMTHING YOU NEED TO GET IN THERE I WOULD ALLWAYS LIKE ONE FREE IF I COULD FOR THE FUTURE . EVEN WITH USB IT'S AMAZING THE STUFF THAT YOU CAN END UP WITH IN A PC

GO FOR AGP . YOU MAY BE ABLE TO GET A PCI CARD NOW BUT IT WILL BE UNLIKLYTHAT IT WILL BE VERRY GOOD . PLUS YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT S AROUND THE CORNER .

I HAVE A NEW MOTHER BOARD ON IT'S WAY WITH A AGP PRO SLOT (YOU NEVER KNOW)