1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agp or Dvi

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Plasma Thing, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Plasma Thing

Plasma Thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Folks
    New plasma screen Bush 42" :)

I just want to know witch is the better video card to use to conect a PC. to my plasma screen agp or dvi and why?
    I am using an agp card at present but i get the impresion dvi will give better results

And can anybody recomend a video card.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lost in space, mate. AGP is the internal PC format, DVI the signal type and physical connector externally, not mutually exclusive. Do you mean VGA or DVI? You'll be wanting as good a Radeon card as you can afford, though your plasma is only 852/480, and not ideally suited for PC connection. I expect it's based on old Samsung glass, most 'generic' brand name plasmas are.
    DVI ought to be better, but it's marginal, particularly if the panel is not famous for high quality. I'd concentrate on getting a satisfactory picture from whatever you've already got rather than spend £250 on a top card to no avail. Try at 800x600 32 bit colour from your current card to start. That's not the best res, but will get you a picture. Then you need a little program called powerstrip, enables custom resolutions and timings, to enable you to try the native res of the panel, and maybe 1280/720 and see how it goes. You may find it's simply not worth a new graphics card, the definition and colour pallette of the plasma may not be sufficient to warrrant it.

3. Plasma Thing

Plasma Thing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yes i did mean VGA or DVi not thinking straight. :blush: The instructions that came with the plasma screen says 848/480 but i get the best results at 1024/768 32Bit colour with a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200. Also from what i understand i dont need powerstrip with a Nvidia card as i can create custom resolutions and timings in Nvidias settings. Realy i just wanted to know how much a DVI card would improove the picture.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think 'not a lot' will be the answer.

5. Nostromo426

Nostromo426
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw -

I have a TH50-PHD7 with DVI card connected to PC through Radeon 9800XT DVI out
    Works fine with a res of 1024 x 768 - but I'm having no luck at the native res of the plasma 1366 x 768 - when I set this res the picture disappears (no signal)
    Been pulling my hair out all week trying to get it to work - got to the stage now where I think I'll have to call a pro in.

Appreciate any thoughts

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    60hz?

7. Nostromo426

Nostromo426
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Maw
    Set up custom res in Powerstrip 1366x768 refresh 60Hz
    When selected - works on PC monitor - picture disappears on plasma
    revert back to 1024 everthing ok

8. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    if all this powerstripping is proving a chore then have a look at the PixelPerfect video cards, they have DVI and VGA outputs, and all the main plasma resolutions built in. We have used them on a couple of commercial mixed-use installations and found them to be very good...just a thought :)

9. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nostromo - hi.

I have the same screen - not sure the DVi card will work on this resolution. If you look at the Panny spec, it is not listed, in fact most PC resolutions are excluded. Have you tried VGA? With a decent cable I found this to provide a better piture anyway!

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    I have been experimenting VGA/DVI to my panasonic plasma, see the 'using a pc as a scaler thread' for more info..

Those pixel perfect cards are not cheap - £200+ :eek:

11. Nostromo426

Nostromo426
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lisag will check out your thread tonite

Andrew - Hi
    Not sure I follow you -
    1366x768 is the native res of the plasma - the Panasonic leaflet that came with the DVI board states 'applicable input signals' no:10 = 1366x768 @ 60Hz
    therefore ....shud work if I send 1366x768
    Am I missing something?

12. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Nostro

Not seen that leaflet - you may be better informed, but it is NOT listed as a resolution supported in the attached Panny brochure....

http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/PlasmaBrochure.pdf

...and it doesn't work! If you have different Panasonic data, who knows? I have heard that the DVi board is a little quirky though, and the HDMI board a lot less fussy.....