1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AGP Graphics for SD Plasma - anyone?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ndenbow, May 26, 2005.

1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a AGP graphics (low-profile) adapter that will do widescreen resolutions for use with my plasma? About £30-50? I don't play games, only DVD, DIVX, TV etc. Prefer VGA DB-15 connection at the mo as plasma is not HD.

Thanks

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
  3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have one of these and can recommend it heartily!

That's an excellent price too, notice the second hand ones are a fiver dearer! I paid more for a secondhand one just 10 days ago!

Dave

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    you've gotta love ebuyer :)

5. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Looks like a winner - thanks.

6. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Whilst you're all here - any suggestions for a sound card to connect to my Denon 2805 amp for DD5.1 and DTS? Preferrably PCI.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Experience has shown me that spending loads on the latest Audigy is wasted if all you want to do is feed an encoded signal to an external amp/receiver. The digital stream just gets passed through the sound card without any processing so all you need is an old SB Live! card and you are in business! Secondhand price should be less than £10.

Of course, now I've given the game away, they will probably double in price!

Dave

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    yeah I'd agree get a cheap card if all your doing is passing a digital stream. If you want your PC to do the decoding and pass analogue to your receiver then an MAudio revo would be a good start for about £70. If you have money to burn then have a look at RME soundcards, their HDSP-9632 is meant to be the dogs (just trying to talk myself into ordering one at the moment!)

9. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm a bit confused about what connector to use from the sound card. All the SB Live cards seem to have either 3 or 4 3.5mm jack sockets. Don't I need either an optical or RCA Coax connector for digital streams?

Sorry but even though I work in IT (the big stuff) I've lost touch with go faster stripes and dual weber carb PC's because I don't play games on them.

10. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The SB Live! cards have an Analog/Digital out jack for "6-channel or compressed AC-3 SPDIF output for connection to external digital devices" (taken from the SB Live 5.1 manual). This is what you're looking for. What you need next is one of these from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=1180&doy=28m5

Then you can a cheap phono-phono co-axial cable or a decent one from Mark Grant on these forums, connect one end of this cable to the 3.5 Mono Plug to Phono adaptor (this will connect to your SB Live! card) and the other to your receiver. You should then be able to get the receiver to decode the digital stream from your computer and get sound from your speakers. At least this is how I've done it on my computer with an Audigy 2 card.

11. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry guys but the Radeon 9200SE is not low profile. I recieved the card this morning and there is no way it will fit into the slot I have in my SFF desktop. Any other suggestions for a low profile card that will do widescreen modes?

12. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,581
    I have a Dell SFF as an HTPC - I gave up trying to find a decnt low profile card and just left the case open at the rear - I had to bend the slots at the back a bit with pliers to get the connectors on but this works a treat.theres no way you'd know it was open as it hinges from the front. PC runs cooler as well :)

Cos I have it a in a rack then u only see the front

If you have a lift off lid then maybe try the dell website and search for agp cards for the gx240/260/280 models - I seem to remember one ATI on there that fit, it will ship with a cable slot in the rear so it fits

Good luck