1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

agp 4 x vs 8x

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by bumble, Jul 1, 2005.

1. bumble

bumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is there really a huge difference in performance between a 4x agp slot and 8x,i have read on this forum that yes there is which makes sense as the number has doubled but the tech guys at peeee ceee world say little to no diff will be noticed,i am running a 4x mobo at the mo and have just ordered a xfx 6800gt which is 8x. can anyone explain the diff and purpose of agp and if a new mobo is needed???? will my card work at 4x anyway?? :confused:

thanx in advance

2. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    No there isn't. Benchmarks show very little difference between 4x and 8x. You shouldn't get problems running your card Mobo wise. From Nvidia:-
    The problems you might get are from your PSU. You need at least a 430watt, and preferably a 480 watt PSU for modern VGA cards. Beware cheap & nasty PSU's telling you they can achieve that sort of rating as well. They might, for about 1 micro second! In real World tests though they can't.

Theres a good article on PSU's over at Tomshardware.

Hope that helps.

3. bumble

bumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for info got a 450w psu stuck the card in and no probs,i can finally turn all the settings up and enjoy my gaming :thumbsup: managed to overclock too so now running nearer the ULTRA card than gt!!