1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Agp 2 ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ledzep100, Jan 26, 2004.

1. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know who you can tell if a MoBo supports AGP2.
    I've bought a Radeon 9700 pro for a new HTPC I'm going to build in a few months.

But in the interim I'd like to install it in an old P3 500 system I've got. The guts of the unit were originally from Gateway.

I can't find any reference to the AGP standards on the board, in the bios or in XP.

I'm using a Riva TNT 2 at the moment and know that it supports both AGP 1 and 2.

I'd just pop the new card in but I believe there's a difference in voltage between the standards and don't want to fry it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ledzep

2. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AGP 2X runs at 3.3V, 8X at 1.5V. Plugging an AGP 2 card into an 8X mobo probably won't cause any damage as a result of the boards AGP slot voltage but a looksee on the board manufacturers website should shed some light on any compatibility issues. Some modern boards have a warning led that lights up if the board detects an incorrect card in the slot.

3. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi cencored,

The 9700 pro will do all AGP standards from AGP2 onwards. My concern is that the board doesn't support AGP2 (only AGP).

The board appears to be non branded (from gateway) and their site ain't much use.

Thanks in advance

Ledzep