Agonising over a DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by crawf1982, Dec 6, 2002.

1. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I feel the time has come for me to get a DVD recorder. Predictably I have narrowed the choices down to the Panasonic E30 and the Philips 890. My only big concern is the DV input. Is there a noticeable difference in quality between a DVD recording made via a DV connection compared to via a S-Video connection?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Dave

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    DV input is for connecting a digital camcorder. If you have one of these, with the correct output on the camcorder (FireWire), then go for a model with the DV connector. Quality should be much higher than s-video. If you don't have the camcorder, then you don't need the DV connector.

3. Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I had the same debate and decided to go for the Panasonic E30. As a friend pointed out I'm likely to want to edit the DV footage first so transfering the raw footage to DVD wasn't really useful.

M

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a digi cam and have copied to the E20 via the "S" video connections. Results are excellent. Can't see the difference from the master. If you intend to use a 500 inch TV screen then perhaps Ilink would be needed...:D :D :D