1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aging Sony STR-DB940...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jimbobgod, Jan 31, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me what the crossover frequency from the Sony STR-DB940 to the subwoofer ouput is set at? The manual doesn't mention it, and it doesn't seem to be adjustable either.

The Sony is quite an old unit, and I'm thinking of upgrading it in the near future, although I may wait for HDMI switching to 'filter down' to some more mainstream amps. If I were to upgrade now though, which amps could anyone reccommend at around the £500 mark? Would there be an appreciable difference in sound quality?

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'm shure my sony930 had an adjustable crossover,have you set the speakers to small otherwize it may not give you the option.If you have the speakers set to large the cross over will be at 120hz with a dolby digital source,this may seem high but its made to blend in.

I found this information.

"Dolby Digital's LFE channel carries additional bass information from 120 Hz on down. This is not a roll-off but a digital brick wall (i.e., no 121 Hz info), so the content is usually rolled off by the sound engineer starting around 80 Hz for a smoother blend."

3. Jimbobgod

Jimbobgod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the info, greatly appreciated :thumbsup: