agh please help, pc freezing.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeKay1976, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    i have just inherited an old pc, which will do for some bits and pieces so i can keep my best pc as a specialied htpc.

it is a D850 in an old KT7 raid, with 768mb of ram, but i seem to have a problem with it, and a google doesnt seem to help.

every now and then, i havent exactly isolated when yet, but, the start menu bar freezes, i cant open internet explorer etc, i just get the hour glass for a short while then nothing.

I can still look around directories on the computer and its still responsive in some ways, i cant get task manager up tho.

sometimes if i leave it long enough, it just comes back on its own, (and does all the things i have been pressing on in fustration - like 6 task managers!.

anyone anyidea what compnent is conflicting with what? or what is faulty?

i am wondering if its a network card issue, trying to contact something. shouldnt be a virus as its a fresh install.

have spent 10 hrs on this so far and no joy. its keeping me away from my weekend, and is begging to drive me mad!.
    cheers
    M.

update!

it seems to be when windows is looking for updates? maybe not tho,

2. IainB

IainB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    First things first what OS are you running?

Sounds to me like a driver problem, but could be a service using all the resources.

You need to find exactly what is running on the PC, have you installed a fresh OS since you got it or are you running it as it was when given to you?

3. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    hi

thanks for your reply, i have it sorted now, it is some problem when it is looking to see if there are windows updates, it freezes for 10 mins, not a problem now as updates are on and its set to look again at 3am so i will never see it.

BUT! and this is a pain..... i dont think this motherboard will boot without a monitor attached which is a pain as it is meant to go in a cupbord and me remote desktop to it, so no keyboard, mouse or monitor, however as soon as i unplug it it wont boot ( no error messages just sits there with a black scfreen) the bios is set to halt on no errors but no joy.

4. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    what about if you just plug a VGA cable into it?