Aggressive cat help/advice

Also adding another cat to what is obviously a very stressful environment for your current cat is likely to make the situation worse.

For the vast majority of scenarios, introducing another cat into an established adult cat's space will be as welcome as Ron Jeremy knocking on my family door carrying a pizza box and asking to stay the night. Treat with caution.

Yes, they have a cat. My youngest wears baggy fluffy jumpers which has cat hairs on. I have always said maybe that's why he seems more playful/aggressive toward her.
Right....so you've already identified one potential source of the problem. At the risk of asking the bleedin' obvious - have you told your kids to avoid wearing such clothes when they come over?
That could help. But then with a new baby perhaps you're being ultra cautious with your teenagers' feelings and reluctant to impose any "rules"? Apologies if that is an incorrect and/or unwelcome thought! I was just wondering if possibly your cat is fed up with you being thoughtful and accommodating (aka unassertive to him) and has decided to take on the role himself o_O

It depends on the cat and what it's life was before you got it, can always remember when I was a kid next door had a cat that you couldnt go near without getting hissed at and a need for a bandage if you was slow but a kitten from a few doors down made them almost into a disney princess when around.
Adult cats are usually fine around kittens. That stops when the kitten reaches puberty. I've seen it happen many many times, even between siblings. Sometimes they'll co-exist ok, other times it's carnage.

Right....so you've already identified one potential source of the problem. At the risk of asking the bleedin' obvious - have you told your kids to avoid wearing such clothes when they come over?
That could help. But then with a new baby perhaps you're being ultra cautious with your teenagers' feelings and reluctant to impose any "rules"? Apologies if that is an incorrect and/or unwelcome thought! I was just wondering if possibly your cat is fed up with you being thoughtful and accommodating (aka unassertive to him) and has decided to take on the role himself o_O
Yes I've mentioned it and thankfully as its the heat wave the baggy woolly jumpers haven't been seen for some time.

This week he's been like a completely different cat, he's been much more friendly towards everyone. Haven't a clue why tho.

Another thing I have problem with is he likes to scratch anything and everything no matter what it is. Curtains, sofa/arm chair hanging tapestry, storage boxes etc

He has a scratching board and scratching post but doesn't stop him.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this?

Another thing I have problem with is he likes to scratch anything and everything no matter what it is. Curtains, sofa/arm chair hanging tapestry, storage boxes etc

I suspect that this is part of his overall behaviour and if it was the only issue then it can be fairly easily resolved, for me a stern no and a shake of the finger generally works and for the persistent offenders a short squirt from a water bottle emphasizes the point. But in your cats case you need to address all the issues it is having rather than singling out just this one.

I suspect that this is part of his overall behaviour and if it was the only issue then it can be fairly easily resolved, for me a stern no and a shake of the finger generally works and for the persistent offenders a short squirt from a water bottle emphasizes the point. But in your cats case you need to address all the issues it is having rather than singling out just this one.
Exactly my problem. Too many issues that if he did one or a few I wouldn't mind but when all together can get very tiring and annoying.

He loves water being sprayed on him, he just sits there and begs for more so that never worked 😂

He is adorable at times and this makes it even harder as I want him to be how he is towards me to everyone, well majority and at least the ones who are here regularly.

Unfortunately its mainly a case of keeping on top of them and telling them off when they do it. You can also try double sided sticky tape. Good news is that hopefully its shouldn't take too long for them to stop as long as they find an alternative.

Forgot to ask, does he go out much ?

Yes I've mentioned it and thankfully as its the heat wave the baggy woolly jumpers haven't been seen for some time.

This week he's been like a completely different cat, he's been much more friendly towards everyone. Haven't a clue why tho.

Cats have scent glands in their paws so when they sharpen their claws they are putting their own personal scent on whatever they're scratching. It's a way of marking their territory and to say This is MINE!
It sounds to me like he's feeling rather insecure and needs to keep reassuring himself which, unfortunately can manifest itself in aggression.

Cats have scent glands in their paws so when they sharpen their claws they are putting their own personal scent on whatever they're scratching. It's a way of marking their territory and to say This is MINE!
It sounds to me like he's feeling rather insecure and needs to keep reassuring himself which, unfortunately can manifest itself in aggression.
Similar to the ladies then 😃😃😃😃😃😃

That's a v good point. In my experience cats tend to find one particular place /item to have a really good scratch. They need to scratch not only to keep their claws sharp and in good trim but also to have a really good stretch. The fact that he's scratching everything is likely to be marking territory rather than actual need.

I have never managed to get any cat to use a scratching pole and gave up trying a long time ago. I'm reminded of this from a while back that did make me laugh a lot:

I got my cat a double height scratching post, which she does use. She does get a nice stretch whilst using it. Sadly she still scratches else where though.

Millie was quick to learn that the long scratching post was where she should do her thing but she also like one particular corner so I bought a pad that fits round the corner.😃😃

Another method of scent marking is spraying urine everywhere but we'll leave that to you chaps!!
That don't really work for cats more than for the time the other cats turn up and give the area a good arse up spraying.

That don't really work for cats more than for the time the other cats turn up and give the area a good arse up spraying.
That's part of a cat's lifestyle though.

When my 6 cats go out in the morning they all go over to sniff the hedge to see if another cat has been in the garden overnight and left them a message. If one has, they add their own message on top of it.

I call it p mail!

Have you watched the cat behavioural programme on Sky? Can’t remember his name but he deals with cats like this all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom