1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aggh! DLP rainbow!! - need advice on an LCD please

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Erwego, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have BenQ DLP projector, which I love, except for the rainbow effect. I did not notice it when previewing, but noticed it as soon as I sat down to watch my first DVD on the PJ - Star Wars a New Hope. - Bright lights, Death Star = rainbow effects for me.

Anyway, I have a second chance.

I need an LCD projector, about £1200 that is bright enough to be used for presentations in lit rooms, yet has a high enough contrast to make movie viewing a pleasure. It also needs to be XGA.

I notice that many of the popular home cinema projectors seem to have a relatively low light output ( my BenQ has 2000 lumens ).

Any advice

Cheers

Paul

2. BravOllie

BravOllie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Ollie here,

As i've said in reply to others projector queries that with such a budget (like myself, no affence intended) you either have DLP benefitting from high contrast and lumen output or you have LCD with reduced lumen and contrast but no chance of the Rainbow :devil: !

What do we do???

Some say DLP, others say LCD!!! :suicide:

Ollie

3. Erwego

Erwego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ollie,

Given my rainbow eyes, it has to be LCD.

Is there any you would recommend, bearing in mind it will also be used for presentations.

Paul

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The Hitachi PJ-TX100 maybe just the ticket. It is an LCD model with 1280x720 native resolution, 1200 ansi lumens, 1200:1 contrast ratio, 25db 'whisper quite' mode, dvi input, widescreen ratio, looks cool and the best part...............It retails for only £1100 so shop around and you will probably find one for under a grand.

I've even looked for you and if you check out this link, you'll find it is indeed under £1000.

http://www.ivojo.co.uk/hitachi-pj-tx100.htm

5. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I have recently bought a SANYO PLV-Z2, which cost £850 from pixmania with 12 months 0% finance :thumbsup:

Unless you have a very good DVD player already, then I would suggest that you buy this rather than the PJ-TX100 and spend the rest on a basic HTPC and you will get a very good PQ, my only concern is that the Z2 wouldn't be bright enough for your needs?? (mine looks great but I have blackout blinds!)

So if there really is nothing you can do about the light then I would go with oakley and get the pj-tx100.

6. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I recently bought a Z3 from Nexnix for £1162 (£989 ex VAT) and it's fantastic. 3yr warranty, no VB, low noise, HDMI input and (obviously) no rainbows to give you a headache! Overall v v happy with it. :smashin:

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Though the TX will very likely be bright enough for your needs, I've no experience of what it's like for presentations. I've no reason to think it would be anything except excellent, but if you plan to lug it round from place to place I would be a bit concerned. Firstly, it's not the smallest PJ you'll ever come across, secondly I wouldn't describe it a being built like a tank - because it's very mich aimed at home cinema fixed installations. Any if you do carry it around, you'll probably be looking for a warranty better than 1 yr...PJ