Ageing newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by PLASMABABBY, Jul 3, 2004.

1. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post so please treat me gently!

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a TH42PWD6B Panasonic from AV Sales after many hours looking on this forum. I found AVSales superb and would highly recommend them.

Being a 63 year old non techie, I set it up in my own way daisychaining my old Nokia Freeview box through my Panasonic E50 DVD Recorder and into the Scart Terminal Board supplied with the Plasma.

I am over the moon with the picture from both the Freeview box and the DVD recorder but have noticed references to connecting the Freeview box to the VGA socket on the Plasma via a Scart to VGA box to get an even better picture.

I have noticed what looks to me like a VGA type socket on the back of the Freeview box (I've lost the manual).

Can I connect the Freeview box using this and just a suitable cable - if so which cable do I need?

Or do I need to get a Scart to VGA box and connect to the VGA socket on the Plasma this way as everyone seems to indicate?
    Any advice would be very welcome.

I have the Contrast set at -6 and the Brightness at 0. Is this OK for the first 200 hours?

And one final question - How long is it safe to use the Plasma for if there is a logo displayed on a channel (e.g. BBC 3 or BBC 4) or if there are black bands at the top, bottom or sides?

Please excuse my ignorance on these matters but they do say that you are never to old to learn.

Plasmababby

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    AFAIK the 'vga type' socket on the back of the old nokia freeview boxes is an rs232 serial data socket and not a vga socket ... so you won't get any picture out of it !!

Generally the brightness and contrast are set quite high at 0 so you could turn them down ... depends on your viewing conditions ... or eyesight ;-)

Screen burn from bars or logos generally happens after 'days' of continuous viewing rather than hours ... in my experience anyway ... 'average' daily tv use shouldn't be a problem (watch the same channel for a couple of hours and then change channels ... etc)

hth
    rgds

Jon

3. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    got my panasonic th-42pwd6 on thursday and my picture settings are contrast -12 brightness-15 .if you want to connect using rgb to vga this is highly recomended on this forum http://www.js-technology.com/rgb-vga/index.htm thinking of getting one myself as i am using the quintro scart box from av-sales .iI think the picture quality is great through this but people say it is even better through the rgb to vga connection from the link i posted.I also got my plasma from av-sales great service. :smashin:

4. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your quick replies and suggestions.

Jont, thanks for the info on the socket on the Freeview box. Guess I might be better off buying a Scart RGB to Plasma as suggested by sargetheboss.

I have adjusted my settings to Contrast -12 and Brightness -15 but the picture seems very dark especially in daylight so I may up them very slightly if I don't get used to them. But thank you for the settings you use, sargetheboss, they are a great starting point and I am very grateful for that info and put me in the right area.

I also had the Quintro box but was not very happy with it as it sometimes wouldn't switch over either automatically or manually and the leads into the Scart sockets on the back seemed a bit dodgy.

I would also like to connect a video into the daisychain I am using but don't quite know how to do it. At present it is

Freeview box ----->DVD Recorder---->PWD6 Scart Terminal Board

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks for your patience.

5. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    another member sent me this if you are interested.
    yes i found the connections a bit loose in the quintro but they seem alright now.if they are not switching automatic have you checked that you have put them in the right sockets, some are input and some are output. :smashin:

6. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks sargetheboss,

The setting info from MAW is very useful.

I did check that all the connections were right on the Quintro. To begin with the unit seemed to do the job fine. It only gave trouble after a couple of days. So perhaps it was faulty.