Ageing HTPC Struggles With 1080p HVEC H265 1080p?

wokeye

I have quite an old AM3 AMD based HTPC. The cpu is a Phenom 2 X4 955 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB ram, a cheap nvidia fanless graphics card, which I can't remember off the top of my head without looking when I get home.

I use Windows 7 64 Bit and use Kodi 17.6. I've tried VLC and this is similar. I like the Kodi interface. I have hardware acceleration disabled, as this was causing issues with 720p HVEC files when it was enabled. They play fine with it disabled with CPU usage between 40 - 50% during playback with KODI. When I play 1080p HVEC H265 files, the CPU usage is around 70%, but occasionally it will spike to a 100%, this causes the playback to go jerky and slow right down.

I am not interested in 4K playback at the moment. Just wondered if there was a fix that might extend the life of the PC until I decide to upgrade to a higher resolution. I think I'm about as fast as I can go CPU wise for AM3, my motherboard does not support CPU's above 95 watts, the one I have is a 95 watt version.

Would a better graphics card help at all? Or is everything just done by the CPU?

Currently I re-encode 1080p HVEC H265 files to H264 at the same resolution and frame rate using Vidcoder to get round this issue. The CPU usage then drops to around 30% with no issues at all.

Thanks for any help.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
A newer graphics card would be the obvious fix. Best to check exactly what card you have now to compare any performance improvement.

bubblegum57

Do you need to run Windows on this PC? It might play HEVC files better if you install a lighter OS.

you could try running Libreelec running on a usb, just to see if it plays better. or, just install on the htpc hard drive itself

wokeye

I ended up getting a used quad core Phenom CPU, the fastest one at the wattage applicable for my motherboard. I also changed to Windows 10, even though I'm not keen on it. I also did a cheap used memory upgrade from 4GB to 8GB. It now plays these files faultlessly at 1080p using Kodi. I have a feeling that maybe the windows change is the main reason. The CPU usage is fine now.

It will do until I want to watch 4K content. I think I will have to change everything then, I don't think that a graphics card would be enough with my cpu, but I really haven't a clue..

MrRimmer

Standard Member
If you're using Kodi, adding a GT1030 would have done the job with your old CPU - I ran a setup with an Athlon 405e which was able to play pretty much anything thrown at it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom