• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ageing Denon system - help please with upgrade

MWRTXT35

Hello all – hope this is in the right forum - a long time since I corresponded, but advice gratefully accepted please. My system is Denon AVC A11SR surround amp, Denon 2900 dvd player, PMC OB1 main speakers, Proac C1 centre, Anthony Gallo Micros surround, viewed through a 50in LG plasma. Last year, I bought an Exposure 2010S cd player and matching 2010S amplifier which gives me quality stereo for cd. I have wired the Exposure amp via the pre-outs into the Denon amp so when I use my home cinema, the Exposure runs the left and right channels – it seems to be a sweeter, more dynamic sound, particularly with music DVDs. I have spent a small fortune on interconnects (blue heaven, mains smoothers etc) and my system is in mint condition and sounds pretty damn good. But am I being left behind? If I wanted to upgrade, should I consider a blu ray player, or perhaps retire my ageing Denon monster amp? My lounge is rather large with a vaulted ceiling, so I do need a fair bit of power. Comments gratefully accepted please. I have to move fairly quickly as the wife wants a new washer……fridge……cooker etc. Oh God, I can hear her coming up the stairs…if she reads this, I’m toast.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
enjoy what you have, the grass always seems greener but rarely is, you have some great kit now. Enjoy.

MikeK

Like Nic, I wouldn't really change anything as such, but I might add a reasonable quality Bluray player to complement your Denon DVD player.

That said, once you start watching HD, you may find that normal DVD doesn't quite cut the mustard any more.....but I suppose that's the same with a lot of newer improved technologies.
I don't want to get into a Bluray vs DVD debate (been done to death I suspect), but personally I feel Bluray, while perhaps not perfect, is superior to DVD in every respect that matters - quite markedly so in some cases!

Just make sure your plasma is HDCP compliant though (it should be if it sports the HD READY logo). Bluray may be possible over component, but that would need further research/investigation!

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Just get yourself a bluray player with analog outs and connect this to your existing amp with 3 sets of phono leads.

The bluray player will decode the hd sound codecs and your amp will reproduce the hd sound via the multi LPCM setting.

You have a very good set up and don't need to get a new amp unless you want to waste money.

MWRTXT35

enjoy what you have, the grass always seems greener but rarely is, you have some great kit now. Enjoy.

Nic Thanks for the prompt reply. It is perhaps a little reassuring to know that my system is ok. Are you sure you haven't been speaking with my wife?

MWRTXT35

Like Nic, I wouldn't really change anything as such, but I might add a reasonable quality Bluray player to complement your Denon DVD player.

That said, once you start watching HD, you may find that normal DVD doesn't quite cut the mustard any more.....but I suppose that's the same with a lot of newer improved technologies.
I don't want to get into a Bluray vs DVD debate (been done to death I suspect), but personally I feel Bluray, while perhaps not perfect, is superior to DVD in every respect that matters - quite markedly so in some cases!

Just make sure your plasma is HDCP compliant though (it should be if it sports the HD READY logo). Bluray may be possible over component, but that would need further research/investigation!

Thanks MikeK and kbfern. I will borrow a blue ray and cables just to compare, and to make sure I'm not missing anything. Best regards.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom