Age Rating

R

RichGC

Hello, I recently signed up for a new bank account which gives me a Solo Debit card (UK).
I mainly got this so I could get stuff off the net. My question is im 17 and if say I wanted to order a Region 1 title say Blade 2 will I be able to get it? It's rated R in US but 18 in UK. I don't mind too much but would like to know nontheless. Thankyou

As just about all on-line dvd retailers i know don't ask your age I think that you won't have any problem ordering any discs. Just give it a try, you won't lose anything trying.

HI,

Actually, that's wrong! 99% of all online businesses state in their Terms & Conditions that you must be over 18 years of age to order (or over 21 in the USA). If you order anything from them, then you are LEGALLY agreeing that you are at least 18/21.

Also, not all DVD businesses will accept Solo cards, for the simple reason that they are available to people under the age of 18. As such, you may find that you will still need to order using a Switch, Visa or Mastercard, or other form of Credit Card instead.

Sorry, but Solo cards are pretty much worthless when it comes to using them online. The reason being, many of the businesses can't do immediate online checks with your bank, to see if you actually a) are over 18 years of age, and b) that you have enough money in your account to purchase the items.

As such, I think you ain't going to find many places that will let you order stuff online with just a Solo card.

Pooch

Pooch is right about Solo, there are not many places that accept it. Even in the high street. :(

Heh I got a card because some sites recommended to me DO accept solo cards so im ok in that department and it says knowhere you must be 18 or over in their terms and conditions. I would still like the answer to my original question which is whether a Region 1 DVD which is an R rating and would be 18 in UK would be ok?

No it's not the same it's a 15 ot there about's. If the sites you use take your card then bully for you. Happy with the answer?

Rich,

What site are you intending purchasing "Blade 2" on a Region 1 DVD from?

If you can let me know, I'll do a check and see if they would let you order it, or if you do in fact have to be at least 18 to order - as I suspect.

Pooch

I've been using a Solo card online for 2 years now (although I'm currently waiting for my barclaycard) and have had no problems whatsoever.
Some retailers don't accept them but a hell of a lot do, US retailers won't but only one or two of the retailers I've wanted to shop at (and I do loads of online shopping) don't take solo.
I've ordered 18 films, including one from HMV and it was shipped no problem.
Solo cards are just switch cards without an overdraft basically. They too can be processed in seconds, the only time I've had to wait for a few hours to get confirmation was when ordering several hundred pounds worth of stuff from Dabs.com.

So go forth, spend money and be happy! :D

(BTW, just because you have a solo doesn't mean your under 18, they are given out to people with bad credit ratings too. So if they don't let you buy it its not because your using a solo card its because somewhere else you've had to fill in your DOB and they run a check, the only way to tell is to try)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom