1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age old question Plasma v LCD

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JohnFin, Oct 25, 2004.

1. JohnFin

JohnFin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The good news it that due to a redecoration in the front room, my wife has finally given in to me having a screen on the wall.
    So I rush off to buy a 434, always fancied one. Then they go and bring out a 435, oh no a choice.
    And then I foolishly held up a tape measure to the chimney breast and discovered that only about 6" would appear behind the screen so it was suggested that maybe a 37" would be better.
    Back to the magazines. 37" new panny PW7 sounds good but then there is the great looking titanium LCD from Sharp or the Loewe Spheros 37"
    Oh no, Plamsa v LCD and all because I had the room decorated.
    15ft room, used for viewing sky+, Dora the explora and football games. Also every Disney DVD, Nemo etc.

Any helpful suggestions, every shop I talk to tells me their best deal is the greatest and I only want a screen that makes Nemo get away and West Ham play better.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Plasma afficionados will tell you to choose Plasma (for they have already made this decision).

LCD afficionados will tell you to choose LCD (for they have already made this decision).

Unless you have a really pressing factor that will predispose you to one or the other

(such as: I will be watching in high ambient light levels and will be watching the same channel, which has a bright white logo, for prolonged periods at very high bright/contrast levels)

then the answer is: they both have a different "look" and whichever you prefer is best.

3. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As yet I don't own either but having browsed extensively in various stores, I've come to the conclusion that plasma still has the edge when it comes to reproducing a 'clean' image.

But I do love LCD's deep blacks!

4. Shahel

Shahel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 42" panny in my bedroom and a 23" sony LCD in the living room, LCD looks much better as its HD but i still love my plasma more.

5. kirakira

kirakira

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Plasma always had the advantage of deep blacks. (easier to emit less light than to block all light from a ultra bright light lamp).

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Find another wall to put the plasma on !

7. shipitinshag

shipitinshag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have to agree although the Loewe Spheros 37" does look gorgeous.... and I do think that LCD seems to be a "better" Technology... less power consumption, lighter and alleged longer lifespan..... problem is when u look at both screens Plasma gives a slightly warmer picture while LCD's in my opinion seem to show mpeg blocking on digital TV broadcasts... I hasten to add this is IMHO.