1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Of Empire types

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sam Fox, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love Age of Empires, but I am bored with it now as I have played it to death! Can anyone recommend any similay type games where you get to build, design and manage a civilization?

I didn't like Civilization as it had no graphical design element. I have heard of Empire Earth and Cossacks. Any good?

Thanks for suggestions :smashin:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Age of Empires II but it is similar to Age of Empires, The Settlers series, Kingdom Under Fire, Age of Mythology and I think Warcraft III is in that sort of vain.

Of them, I have I have played Settlers which was entertaining.

3. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Shogun Total War and Medieval Total War are also very good.

How can you say you don't like civilization? The game that has been voted the greatest game of all time since it's creation?

:p

What are your system specs?

You could also take a look at Zeus or Ceasar 3 both very good civ strats although without the combat.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    Sinzer when I get started playing Civilisation that’s me gone missing for a week or up till 2 in the morning. :D

I played Civ and Civ 2 but I have not got round to Civ 3 yet but the screen shots look quite nice.

5. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also one called 'Warrior Kings' ..got pretty rave reviews...i played the demo , quite good.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    Civ simply is amazing. I tend to get sucked into Heroes of Might and Magic, that game makes me lose whole days.

Civ 3 is pretty good, although is not really that different from Civ2. The automated builders are nicer and it does alleviate some micro-management in the later stages of the game. Graphics are also a lot better.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Played Empire Earth and liked it a lot. The game is sectioned in time with different graphics for each time frame, you should be able to pick it up in the bargin bin. Try Battle Realms as well .:smashin:

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,005
    I did not know whether or not to recommend Heroes of Might and Magic to Sam, Sinzer, as it is in sort of the same vain, i.e. building resources but the action is a little different. I agree it is a great game. Heroes III now on budget 3 for £10 range or £4.99 each.
    I had a mate over one Christmas and foolishly lent it him to play on his computer he brought with him, I hardly saw him. He had some sessions for 24 hours.
    He has played IV but I still have a backlog of games to play before I buy it.

9. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think Age of Kings must be my favourite game ever... I do like Shogun & Warcraft3 etc, but what I like about AOK which the others don't have is the focus on designing a town and building a civilisation. Shogun is more about war/battle tactics, and Warcraft3 doesn't have the same 'design' feel to it imho.

I have never played any of the Civilisation games... I was always put off by the fact that they didn't have so much graphical interaction as AOE/AOK... Or am I wrong about the?

Pharaoh is good (although old).

And Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds is the same engine ae AOK :smashin:

10. Sam Fox

Sam Fox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies. I meant to say 'Age of Kings' not 'Age of Empires' sorry.
    I have a Pentium 3 1ghz & a gforce3 titanium :smashin:
    I have heard good things about Empire Earth... Maybe I can find a demo for it. Don't you wish demos were more readily available for pc games, its not like a movie where you can just buy it cheap, with pc games you really need to try b4 u buy. Anyway, is Civ really that good? How does it compare with Age of Empires?

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    They are two completely different games. It is essentially turn-based vs Real Time Strategy (RTS).

Civ is far more strategic, you start off with one city in 2000BC (or something around that time) and you nurture this into an entire empire up to around 2150 AD. It is about micro management, so you are constantly looking after your cities and waging wars. The latest incarnation of Civ 3 is the most complex, for instance your choice of civilization has specific units for a time period so you get the upper military hand during a certain timeframe. Also, you can capture cities using culture rather than military force or using diplomacy or subversion.

Age of Kings is standard RTS fayre, you build up your base, you research technologies you raise an army and march it across the map. I have found with most RTS's it is simply a case of building up an army of sufficient strength to overpower the PC, you win or lose.

With Civ the game is so long that you may start poorly, but then recover and become a superpower, then diminish again, then regain your former power. The beauty is that the game is so complex yet easy to pick up it makes it so difficult to stop from taking the next turn. It is a lot of fun knowing that you are being threatened by the Incas, yet if you can hold out for 5 more turns, or rush a couple of units production then you will tip the tide of war. With RTS you know you are going to win or lose as soon as you see the opposing army turn up on your screen.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sim City?

I find boring after a couple of hours though, much prefer Command & Conquer, Age of Empires etc.

13. Skid Solo

Skid Solo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just started Age of Mythology, similar to AOK but with improvements, enjoying it so far and finding it a different challenge

14. pendulum

pendulum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Playing Age of Mythology atm, and enjoying it a lot. :) :)

15. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I hesitate to suggest this, but what about Hearts of Iron? (Available here for £17.99.

The reason I'm in two minds is that it's not initially an attractive game.

It's a fairly complex wargame which follows the period up to and during World War 2. You can control any country - literally any major nation of the time. It has many facets, and at first glance is horribly complex.

For your side you set technology research (which does make a lot of difference), territory enhancements (AA guns, infrastructure, industrial capacity, etc), etc. You obviously get to build military units (within the constraints of your supplies, manpower, etc), you set leaders for armies (all historical stuff - Montgomery, Rommel, Zhukov, Patton, etc) and you can influence other nations using diplomacy.

Its a strategic wargame - so you send your armies in but don't directly control them (other than ordering a retreat) when in battle.

It doesn't sound good does it? Bear with me.

I installed it, played it (didn't have a clue what to do - the manual is deliberately evasive), got my arse kicked, lost interest and quit.

Two days later I went back to try again, and still couldn't get into it.

On the third attempt and my third game, it suddenly clicked. I realised this at 4am in the morning! :suicide: It has that compulsive "I'll finish when I've finished invading this country / getting that technology / building this unit" thing going on that just keeps you playing and playing.

I'm on my third game now as the Russians, and I reckon that this game has been going on for 30+ hours now - and it's only up to 1943!

I'm in a real quandary. What do I do when I get Championship Manager 4? Play both at the same time - one on my PC and one on my laptop? :rolleyes: