Age, adaptation and joint pain

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by sniffer66, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    I'm now nearly 49 and look in pretty reasonable shape for my age, having started lifting about 2 years ago.

I took an enforced break for a few months and have been back lifting since Xmas. However, I'm finding I'm having quite a few issues with joint pain, post workout especially in my shoulders. I'm also finding that during workouts I'm experiencing enough joint pain to prevent me from lifting my target weight\reps. Its especially bad in my shoulders\arms at the moment

I know that some of the pain is probably due to adaptation after my break and it will probably lessen over time. However, given my age I'm keen to mitigate the issues as much as possible - I really don't want to do myself a long term injury.

Going to do some research anyway but wondering if any of you guys had any hints or tips re exercises, weight, rep ranges etc ? I'm thinking of lowering the weight and aiming more for slower reps to maintain tension. Think that would help ? Obviously good form is a given

Currently doing a Mon\Weds\Fri Full body workout with a mix of squats, deads, lunges, chins\pullups, pulldowns, bench and shoulder presses, bi's and tri's

I also have some arthritis issues in my feet and take large doses of fish oil to help manage inflammation

Cheers
    Stu

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,710
    I'm 10 years behind you but I suffer from the same thing at times. Just this week I've hurt my left elbow after having to adjust my grip on rack pulls and whilst the rest of me can shift the weight, my elbow is sore afterwards. I'm sure it will cope long term, it was just a bit of a shock for it.

Don't have any hints or tips I'm afraid mate, but I'll be keeping an eye on the thread.

3. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Do you take any supplements? Perhaps try taking some fish oil and Glucosamine with Chondroitin for a week or two. I swear by it. Also take your weight down a bit for the joints to recover. Perhaps go swimming or do some rowing to warm up first.

4. Charlts

Charlts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    Do you mostly get shoulder pain when benching and have you tried doing any sort of shoulder mobility work? I'll echo he above, glucosamine and fish oils are something I really believe in, no idea if they work but they make me "feel" better! :D

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    Cheers guys. I take about 10x1g fish oil tablets a day, based on Lyle McDonalds recommendation.
    I've tried Glucosamine and Chrondroitin in the past and not really felt much - my old physio didn't rate them much either.

Charlts - it is mainly shoulder and elbow pain. My knees\feet as well but thats more arthritis I think.
    I do quite a lot of stretching and foam roller work (physio gave me some guidelines) - maybe I should look at something more shoulder specific

I'm loath to drop too much weight but maybe should give it a try - need to learn I'm not 21 any more :)

6. Charlts

Charlts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +695
    Is the pain when you're benching though? It's most likely a technique issue, it's why loads of people wreck their shoulders benching as it's not something that's really taught.

7. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722

It is when benching but also on other exercises using shoulders i.e most upper body. Flies are the other one where its bad. Have no issues on chins or pullups though

8. silent ninja

silent ninja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +828
    Are you sure you aren't getting shoulder and elbow pain from squatting? This happens when you inadvertently intercept the weight. Also think about pulling your elbow and upper arm in toward your ribs a bit more.

It could just be tight muscles. My front right delt gets very tight!! I use a hard massage ball against a door frame and squash the delt. Then move my arm about slowly. It loosens the muscle. Also stretch it. Also holding a dumbell weight, lying down on floor and holding it above you; relax your arm as much as possible (or use the other arm to assist it) and let the weight of the DB push your shoulder socket back (pin your shoulder against floor). Hold DB 2 minutes. This creeps your shoulder back in to it's socket long term. I also pause warm up sets on bench at the top for the same reason.

9. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,271

indeed - when benching, the bar needs to be where your nipples are, I've seen people have the bar further up and this puts more stress on the shoulders

10. SteveCritten

SteveCritten
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,671
    There was a recent article that debunked glucosamine and chondroitin saying that in most studies the affects were no better than a placebo except in extreme cases of osteoarthritis.

11. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    I definitely keep the bar at nipple height or just below. I also try to keep my wrists and elbows aligned and knuckles aimed at the celing. I'm not sure I'm doing much wrong

12. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,271
    cool, yeah, I have my arms around 45 degrees too :)