1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Againist the law- to take back games?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by dawnthief, Dec 19, 2003.

1. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,
    My brother brought Manhunt yesterday for £19.99 from pc world.
    He didnt like it and tried to take it back for a refund and was refused since it was againist the law. The assistant said it was againist the licencing law. Is this true-can they refuse to give a refund?
    I know that other stores would give a refund like game

2. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No - its total ******** go back and insis upon getting your money back.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    There's no such 'law', however most stores won't accept returns on software that has been opened, ie. the shrink-wrap has been removed, since the person returning it could easily have simply copied it.

So, if your brother opened and played it he has no rights to a refund, if it's as he bought it then he can argue, but he has no 'right' to a refund simply because he changed his mind .. note that this applied to when you buy in person, buying mail-order you can return in most circumstances as long as the packaging hasn't been opened.

4. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    they dont put shrink wrap on the games boxes are open already since they have taken the game out on PS2

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    In that case I wouldn't know what rights he has, I've never bought software that's not been wrapped ... is the game itself not sealed in some sort of wrapping?

I still maintain there's no 'right' to a refund simply because you change your mind.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Bah take it back to GAME and say you lost the receipt, they will exchange it for you.

The moral of the story :- DON'T buy from PCWorld as they are the lamest store in the known Universe!

7. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    nope the game does not come wrapped all they have is the box with a number on it. Take it to the checkout and they put the disc in bit like pre-owned games at game and gamestation

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Against the law? Sounds like a job for Michael Knight & KITT!
    What a load of nonsense:eek:
    As Kragorn has already said, you are not entitled to a refund if you simply change your mind. (refer to the trading standards website for more info)
    This will be applicable to me when i open my Christmas present from my dear mother that will no doubt contain a 'Christmas' jumper that even Giles Brandreth would have knocked back

If, however, the game is 'FAULTY' (if you catch my drift...) then you are entitled to a refund or an exchange. Remember, it's not up to you to prove the game is faulty but the responsibility of the retailer to prove that it is not. As you are probably aware most will be quite happy to take your word on this (try it 3 or 4 times over a short period of time of course and they may have a quiet word in your ear etc etc)
    And the moral of the story is...always check with the retailer regarding their returns policy at the time of purchase. If you are not happy with this then shop elsewhere. It may take a while, but they will get the message eventually. Also, give the retailer a call and ask to speak to the manager beforehand. This way you can ensure that you will get what you want when you go in.
    It still amazes me that certain retailers think they can behave like this when there is so much competition out there.
    THE VAST MAJORITY OF CUSTOMERS ARE DECENT, HONEST PEOPLE
    (and i still believe that after 14 years in retail!)

9. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    this is off the trading standards website

"I have just purchased something that I do not want anymore. Does the shop have to give me a refund"?

No! You are only entitled to a refund if the goods are defective, not as described or not fit for their purpose. However, the trader may be willing to give you a credit note.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe, some games could be taken back under this cause they promise a revolutionary gaming experience and are just really a big pile of poo!

11. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Nothing to do with this thread 'sorry' but captaindobie best avatar I've seen in a long time made me :D :D :D

Good man :smashin:

12. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    classic ;) but yeah, GAME staff are generally fine. also if you buy from game you get 10 days to refund somethings thats not wanted. you can play it, complete it, eat it.... as long as the disc is in the condition you bought it and you have the receipt they will give a refund.
    there are a few exclusions where they will not refund for a particualr reason however.... (such as if you traded towards it or if its an online subscribtion PC game ect)

and even if you cant get a refund they will probably offer an exchange.

13. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the disk is 'faulty' they MUST give you a refund by law. I had to take a gamecube game back once (to BigW) because my nephew decided he didn't want his gamecube anymore since the joypad stopped working properly (so that went back to argos for a refund) - The game was purchased from BigW so we took it back and i told the cashier that it wasn't working properly, she said, Ok i'll get you another. I said no it's ok thanks I'd rather have a refund as your whole batch may be faulty and I don't fancy a return visit. She gave me a refund. If she pressed, I would have pointed out that it was being returned because it didn't work and by law I am entiltled to a refund as it is defective and not fit for purpose. Go to a different PCworld if there's one local, or the same one if there's a different cashier on!

14. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    PCWorld is just awful for returns. They'll swear blind that you're not entitled to a refund or exchange on faulty goods - this is company policy (I used to work for them).

If you bought something you didn't like, or (in the case of PC games) didn't work with your hardware they won't give any exchange or refund unless you push them really really hard, and even then it's not a certainty.

If the goods are faulty you still have to push them for a refund or exchange.

Also remember that, by law, it's up to the retailer whether you get a refund, replacement, or repair on a faulty item. So even if you deliberately scratch a game disc to stop it working they might (after arguing the toss for half an hour) just give you a new one. You might even encounter a particularly anal manager who'll insist the disc is sent back to the manufacturer for repair. Again, the law entitles them to do this provided the item is returned in "a reasonable period of time".

The moral of this story?

For games, your statutory rights really aren't sufficient. Which is why you should always shop at a store that gives you additional rights. Game and most independant game retailers are really the only place to buy games in my opinion.

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    As pointed out, GAME are great. I took LOTR PC version back to them today after purchasing yesterday. I felt a little miffed that I payed £34.99 for it in store then got home and saw they were selling it on the GAME website for £29.99.
    I had taken off the shrink wrap and played it, and the man on the counter was more than happy to give me a refund. He asked if I didn't like it and I just said my wife had already ordered it on line.

PC world really are crap! I've had hassle with them before myself. The only time I shop there is when I need something on Sunday or something when every where else is shut.

16. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    It has to be said GAME are GREAT for returns! And Asda are pretty good too!

If you want less hassle when you return something, a handy hint is to walk up to the counter with the product you want, as well as what you are returning! This is especially effective now, they are busy!

17. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Please shop at an indepenent computer games shop as they are the cheapest but if you must as a last resort I might let you shop in Hell, er, I mean GAME.