Again a Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by paraiso36, Jul 14, 2004.

1. paraiso36

paraiso36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I will try to make it more easy this time...If I have a set of 5.1 active speakers connected to my DVD player and they support a "new" format...let say for example Prologic II, that my player doesnt support ( let say it only supports DTS and Dolby Digital )...Will this speakers decode a movie with Prologic II and make it possible to hear although the DVD player doesnt support the system?...Or both the player and the speakers must support the same formats to play a movie??...Thanks again...

2. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm guessing you've got the type of 5.1 speaker system which has no decoding capabilities of it's own and comprises a subwoofer with a 6 channel (5.1) analogue input which has on-board amplification to drive the sub and 5 satellite speakers?

If that is the case, the speaker system is entirely dependant on your DVD player for the processing part and so if your DVD player doesn't support a particular format then you won't be able to make use of it.

However, I do not know a great deal about DPLII and it is possible that a DVD player that supports DD will support DPLII even though it may not specifically say so in the DVD player's user manual. Perhaps someone else can answer that part.

3. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading your post again I am now a bit confused. I think you need to say what speaker system you've actually got before I can comment further.

4. paraiso36

paraiso36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will explain,

I have a DVD player DTS, and Dolby Digital supported..with analog ( 6 ), optical and coaxial conectors. I want to buy an active 5.1 system..My questions are the following,

1.- Do I need to buy a system of speakers that support DTS and Dolby Digital?

2.- If that speakers support for example Prologic II but as I have mention my player dont support it...Will I be able to reproduce a Prologic II movie only because the speakers support this compression format?

In summary I want to now if a set of speakers have the dolby digital, DTS or Prologic logos, can it decode that sound format even if my player dont support it?...And another one..the processes of decoding a compression format depends on the connector usd ( analog, optical or coaxial )...Hope this make my question clear...Thanks

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It depends on whether your "active speaker system" also has a six channel analogue input. Your DVD player can either output a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream through the co-axial or optical outputs which the "speakers" will decode or alternatively it can decode the signals within the DVD player and output the results in the analogue domain via the six channel outputs where the "speakers" will just amplify the existing signal.

6. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i know where you are coming from but still not absolutely sure what type of speaker package you intend to buy. From the sound of it you don't want to bother with an amp/receiver and just want to run a speaker package straight off your DVD player.

There are two types of active speaker package with which you can do this, both have all the necessary amplification on board but some also have built in decoders. Depending on which one you intend to buy, you need to connect them differently and the answer to your question is different.

Can't think of any makes or models off hand but some active speaker packages consist of 5 sattelite speakers and an active subwoofer which also has built in amplification for the 5 sattelites. These are connected via a 6 channel analogue connection from the 6 channel analogue output on your DVD player. As they have no decoding facilities of their own they do not "support" particular sound formats and they are completely dependant on the DVD player for the incoming signal and will just amplify whatever they receive. So, if it is one of these you are looking at then I would guess that if your DVD player does not support DPLII you will not be able to benefit from DPLII encoded software.

The second type of active speaker package is similar to the above but with the addition of onboard decoders which may be built in to the sub or in a sperate box. Example is the Acoustic Energy Aego P5. These types of packages can be connected digitally and you let the onboard decoders do the work. So it doesn't really matter what your DVD player supports, as long as the package supports DPLII then you are okay. I don't think the Aego P5 supports DPLII and don't know of any speaker packages that do, but there may be some.

7. paraiso36

paraiso36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for both replies...Now I am starting to understand,

I will clarify some points again...

1.- You are right I dont want to buy a receiver so I want to connect directly the speaker system to my DVD player.

2.- I have two options an LG FA-3000p system which specs tell it has 6 analog, one coaxial and one optical connectors. It supports Dolby Digital, DTS, Prologic I, Prologic II and DSP (¡? dont know nothing of this ). The other option is a Fidek FSA-2800 which supports DTS and Dolby Digital and ONLY has 6 analog connectors.

3.- This LG product isnt available in all countries but here in my country Chile it is available ( www.lge.cl ).I took the specs from Lg Portugal..About the Fidek I didnt found it on the Web.

Well, from both replies ( which I thank again ) I ask,

1.- With the LG system..Will I be able to listen a movie with Prologic II due to the speaker system supports it even if my DVD player doesnt?
    2.- The above question depends about which connector I am using?..I mean if I connect my DVD player with the LG using the analog connectors will I be able to listen to the DPLII movie because the speakers support this format or I must use the digital ( optical ) connector to make the speakers decode it?
    3.- Finally, the Fidek supports DTS and AC-3 but has anlogog plugs. If I use this speakers with my DVD player, when I listen a DTS or AC-3 movie...which one will decode it..the speakers or the player?

Really, thanks again for your time....