Afterlife?

I've died. It's just black, nothing more.
As I said before, just the same as before you're born.

Errrrr........ You've died...... Interesting.

Care to flesh that statement out a bit more ?

There are many many scientists around the world today working hard who would love to hear how you know such things about life and the universe.
You could be famous around the world if you could share this information with the rest of mankind, and also make a name for yourself in the history books.

Last edited:
Errrrr........ You've died...... Interesting.

Care to flesh that statement out a bit more ?

There are many many scientists around the world today working hard who would love to hear how you know such things about life and the universe.
You could be famous around the world if you could share this information with the rest of mankind, and also make a name for yourself in the history books.
Wouldn't be very interesting, it's just darkness :laugh:

To busy living life to worry about the afterlife I'll deal with it when I'm dead

Does Robocop count as proof? Hear me out a minute...

He gets gunned down, riddled with a lot of lead, and is quite dead, and not existing, anymore. Then, some time later, comes back to life, wearing some painted plastic body armour, and a kickass gun.
Robocop is another Christian allegory.

You have a good cop who is alive, gunned down and then returns. In the film his arms are spread in a crucifixion metaphor while being tortured.

Here he walks on water:

Paul Verhoeven: 'Robocop was a Jesus metaphor' | UPROXX

The point of Robocop, of course, it is a Christ story. It is about a guy who gets crucified in the first 50 minutes, and then is resurrected in the next 50 minutes, and then is like the supercop of the world, but is also a Jesus figure as he walks over water at the end. Walking over water was in the steel factory in Pittsburgh, and there was water there, and I put something just underneath the water so he could walk over the water and say that wonderful line, “I am not arresting you anymore.” Meaning, I’m going to shoot you. And that is of course the American Jesus.

Did I say I can walk on water too? :laugh:

Having picked myself up off the floor, and going briefly off topic for a minute...
Robocop, is actually...Jesusmurphyrozzer? Splendid.

I await James Cameron's admission that Aliens was a metaphor for Noah's Ark; The Xenomorphs went in, two by two...

Having picked myself up off the floor, and going briefly off topic for a minute...
Robocop, is actually...Jesusmurphyrozzer? Splendid.

I await James Cameron's admission that Aliens was a metaphor for Noah's Ark; The Xenomorphs went in, two by two...
Was it your intention for us to be singing that part in our heads?
I was :D

These threads do run and run and run and at the end of the day if you believe or not , proof or no ptoof no one alive can give a definitive answer . Spock explainred it best, you have to die to know the truth of it all.

You have to hand to the forum mentality for trying to answer a question that no one alive could ever answer. So at the end of the day it comes down to belief , and what you believe . No one is right on this and no one is wrong because it can't be proven one way or another. I'm an atheist but I respect belief in every aspect life ( belief not believe ) and you do not have to be tied to a religion to have strong beliefs in the world around you.

I'm with Richard Dawkins, if it can't be scientifically proven, it doesn't exist. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that almost everything people 'believe' in, is often some form of crutch to candy coat something grim, or make things nicer.

You have to hand to the forum mentality for trying to answer a question that no one alive could ever answer. So at the end of the day it comes down to belief , and what you believe . No one is right on this and no one is wrong because it can't be proven one way or another. I'm an atheist but I respect belief in every aspect life ( belief not believe ) and you do not have to be tied to a religion to have strong beliefs in the world around you.

The fact that something cant be disproved doesn't mean you can just say anything goes. It can't be disproved that we're in the Matrix, or that the universe was sneezed out of the great Arkleseizure. Does it make sense to live life on the basis that those possibilities are actually true?

Its not about wether beliefs can be proven, its about wether they are justified. Based on what we do know about reality, are there any real grounds to suppose that our personalities live on after our brains are gone?

I'm with Richard Dawkins, if it can't be scientifically proven, it doesn't exist. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that almost everything people 'believe' in, is often some form of crutch to candy coat something grim, or make things nicer.

I agree with this, using a similar logic as to whether god exists, it's not a testable hypothesis but based on what we do know it would be unlikely at best.

God does exist*

*Can't be proved, but equally it can't be disproved. A win, win situation.

Logically we cannot say yes or no to anything really. If you simply don't know, then it's foolish to state with any certainty anything.

Like anything else, we can use a combination of empirical and a priori evidence to establish what is and what is not 'likely'.

The more we learn and understand about the universe and our own selves, the more we can evaluate the probabilities of unknown or even unknowable propositions.

For example, we are reasonable certain how stars are formed and that they are forming and dying in the universe all the time. That leads us to be reasonably sure that there is a natural process at work that doesn't require a supernatural answer to 'how was the sun made'.

With regards to the afterlife, many arguments for have had to either change or ignore the new evidence provided by advances in the knowledge of human anatomy and neurology.
ie the thinking, feeling 'us' is a function of the brain rather than the body and the brain merely being a container.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom