1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterburner GBA Installation Results

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by groundy, Jun 13, 2002.

1. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Installed an Afterburner internal front-light in my GBA today and I have to say I am EXTREMELY impressed with the results. All those reports about colours being badly washed out are either false or the installer seriously messed it up.

I didn't take many precautions to prevent dust etc., but even so, there is very little dust visible, perhaps on a totally black screen but it's in no way distracting and I'm only talking about a few specks.

The installation took me around 2 hours to complete with the longest part being the cutting of the plastic. I used a dremel for this but a Stanley Knife would have been just as easy. In fact the dremel was rather messy but nothing a can of Air Duster couldn't sort out :).

All I can say is that with the Afterburner installed, you can literally turn your GBA on in any lighting condition anywhere and enjoy. Before, you would have had to go and sit under a light or point a light directly at the screen. Not so anymore. In normal lighting conditions or daylight, the Afterburner becomes completely invisible. In darkness, the GBA really comes alive.

A great success and I advise everyone to get it done. Needless to say I've now eBayed it to see what kind of money those crazy bidders are prepared to pay for it :D.

2. gregr170

gregr170

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed mine last week. Also, very impressed it. At first it did look washed out - but then I'm not sure I removed both sides on the anti-reflective film (always read the manual afterwards :).
    Took the film off, and voila, a useable and very visible gba.
    Maybe I'll try and finish catlevania again now i can see it.

Overall, well worth it, though why nintendo didn't do something similar in the first place is beyond me.

Greg

3. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think I've now plucked up the courage to do mine.

Did you guys fit the brightness dial?

If so, do you use it?

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I connected up the brightness dial and tested it but it didn't make much difference in my mind. Useful in conserving battery power maybe but at the end of the day, I decided I would always want the Afterburner at full brightness anyway. :)

5. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the brightness dial allow the light to be turned off? I use my gba on the tube a lot and so won't need it on a lot of the time. If not do the ship an extra on/off switch?

What are you getting with battery life now?

Groundy: My modded Component to RGB scart w/ female phonos work fine by the way. It is going through the argos switcher which has an RGB switch through

Greg: I managed to finish catlevania without any light probs - except for when half the tube train lights went out on the cerberus boss (DOH).

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jim:

The brightness dial that comes with the Afterburner Kit does not allow it to be switched off, only turned down. Neither is there an on/off switch included. It wouldn't be too hard to fit an On/Off switch but it is very difficult to find one that would be small enough so as to not look obvious. I know this because I investigated a hell of a lot of switches when I was modding Gamecubes. You could purchase a dial that will turn off with a click like the kind you see on Walkmans etc., but again, it may be hard to find.

Battery Life does not seem to be overly affected but it's supposed to be reduced by around 4 hours. I always use rechargeables so this doesn't really have much effect on me.

Glad to hear the Component/RGB cable is working for you. The switching voltage has proved to be a difficult concept for a lot of people. I've made loads of cables over the past month or so and now use a different method. I use a D-Terminal Cable and pull the 12VDC off that as it is a neat and tidy option. It's explained in the "Q" cable section on my site.

By the way, a PAL mod guide for NTSC machines and vice-versa has been discovered and a guide is expected to be released tonight. Keep your eye on:

EDIT.
    Site turned out to be a hoax though people are still working on this....

7. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ta, I will probably get one then.

I saw that mod site from lurking on the edge forum a few days ago. I will be less skeptical when something goes up - Fingers crossed....

8. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look on Lik-sang.com and you will find links there to the official site of the makers of the Afterburner.... contains a forum and installation diagrams etc to see where the best places to put the dials etc are.... there are also a few people on there who fit them officially for the makers, although they live in the US they do fit them and ship internationally for a reasonable price.....

Also, Lik-sang are gonna do GBA's professionally pre-fitted with the Afterburner for around £74 (plus P&P) once they get a big delivery of them, at the moment you can just buy the DIY kits

Taz. :cool:

Mrs Taz :kisses: