1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After the news today, ITV digital has got to be on the way out...

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Stuart Wright, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    Watching the news and seeing that ITV digital own the football clubs nearly 200 million but are offering only 50 million and say that if pressed for any more they will go bust.
    Who on earth is going to get a new ITV digital installation after hearing that news?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Is that for the Nationwide League?
    If it is, it's a lot of money :eek:

No wonder Sky were out bid as this is crazy money to pay for lower division football (even if the 1st div is okay).

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Particularly as Man City won't be there next year :D

<He says quietly confident but holding breath>

4. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    It certainly looks like bad news is coming for ITV Digital subscribers. The comments I have been reading in the press and Carlton Television point to the service being wound up.

5. PeteM

PeteM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I certainly wouldn't concider a prepay package at the moment - too risky, but would be quite happy with a normal subscription - that way if they go under, you haven't really lost anything - and could potentially walk away with a free STB for FTA stuff!.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, if you could time it just right you could get a Pace 735 for a couple months subscription. Bargain. How much is the cheapest ITVD package?

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tenner a month is the lowest ITV Dig sub but I dare say that the receivers (if it is put in to liquidation) would want the STBs back and/or the outstanding payments on the minimum 12 month contract you sign!

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I remember reading an article in the business section of either the Time or Telegraph whilst staying at a hotel the week before last about ITVDigital !!

Apparantly there is a HUGE chance that ITVDigital as it stands does not have that much life left in it financially ( and remember this was before the football news broke big time ) BUT according to numerous people mentioned in the article subscribers to ITVDigital will not have to worry.

Apparantly there are already people getting ready to take over the helm and turn Terestial Digital TV around, I cant remember the whole thing, ill see if I can find it on the net.

9. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It's £12 now but you do get to choose the six pay channels you wish to see. I doubt if terrestrial digital will disappear there is too much investment and infrastructure in place and it would be a kick in the teeth for this government, (Who need a kick in the teeth, anyway!) There will be someone waiting to take over, after all much of the groundwork and setting-up costs are taken care of so they will be in a much better position to make the service profitable as long as they don't throw it away on paying to show football which for some reason, is thought to be essential viewing!

10. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way the recievers could reasonable ask for the balance of your contract if the service was not going to be provided. What are they going to do with all these boxes anyway? I'm sure another company will come in to take over once ITVD has become the sacrificial lamb. They'll have no debt and a fresh look, learning by the previous mistakes. I just wonder if the market will be flooded with digiboxes unless the transistion to another operator is immediate.

S

11. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The STB's will be recalled and then offered as FTA recievers in direct comprtion to the new Pace and Nokia devices.
    Any company foolish enough to launch/relaunch a pay TV format over DTT will then use brand new boxes with secure encryption.
    If the government had any sense they would bank roll FTA DTT and recoup the cost when the analogue frequencies are sold.

12. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301