After some small amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by tbguk2, Nov 24, 2004.

1. tbguk2

tbguk2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Long time watcher, first time poster :)

I'm in the process of doing my whole house audio - and I need to source some amplifiers.

I'm using a PC soundcard (with 8 outputs) and I need to boost these before going onto the room ceiling speakers.

I have 8 zones - 8 rooms. And I'm really trying to find some small cheap low power amps - these are for convenience not quality. For quality I go to my cinema room which has had a tad more money spent on it.

Need to be small - cause I need 8 and they have to go in the rack. Cheap - cause I dont feel I need to spend a lot of money on these - and I need 8 !

Any recommendations out there ? Just need 2 x phono in and then I can wire the speakers into them.

Something good may be say a 10/20W amp, and less than £50 !

TIA !

G. :lease:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,122
  3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Pro audio places like Digital Village should be able to do you a 1u 2 channel power amp for under £100. Another option would be to buy 3 identical 6.1 receivers that have a 6.1 input which would allow you to access 3x6 channels of power. I can't remember which budget amps/receivers have a 6.1/7.1 input but you should be able to get suitable ones for just over £200 each and they'll have some resale value if your system changes. If you could get by with just 6 zones you'd only need to buy 2 but if you need all 8 then you'll have some spare so you could even run full surround sound in one of the zones.

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just got an email from Maplin and they've got a ProSound 12 400Wmax Code QZ29G £74.99 due in 14 days. Thay've also got a 5.1 amp L55AK for £49.95 but the power and freq response is limited on the centre ans surround channels. If you used these I'd buy at 4 and ignore the centre channels and only use the suuround amp channels in the least important rooms. But at £200 this must be the cheapest way to get amplification for 8 zones (16 speakers).

5. iainshaw

iainshaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gareth, did you resolve your question. I'm facing exactly the same issue and it would be great to know what you went with
    thanks
    Iain

6. Arcahngel

Arcahngel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about buying 4 old japanese integrated amps from ebay. Inelegant, but cheap. You can also get some damned decence kit for silly money, simply cos they are more than 5 years old.

Archey.