after some car breakdown cover.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all...
after having my exhaust break in half after driving an hour away to take the wife and kids to panto :(
i was thinking it's about time i got some cover incl. a ride home.
tesco seem to be doing a good deal at the moment using greenflag...cover is all singing and dancing for only about a tenner more than the AA/RAC.

was wondering if anyone has this cover from tesco and if the service is any good?
...any reccomendations if not?
cheers in advance.
:thumbsup:

Drd

Another way of doing this is by choosing a suitable bank account.Most of us have to pay for our accounts in one way or another these days.My wife and I get 'free' travel insurance/top whack AA cover/house electrical and plumbing cover/discount holidays etc etc with our account (Lloyds/TSB).It's not suitable for everyone,but for my wife and I it actually saves us money and effectively gives us free banking too.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
think natwest did something like this for about 9 quid a month if iremember rightly....might be worth looking into.

Londondecca

I have used Autoaid for the last couple of years following the advice from the Martin Lewis site. Although I have not broken down so I cannot comment on their service, the feedback gives me enough confidence to keep saving £100+ each year

IanW1977

Tesco use Green Flag - 2 months free at the moment - I think we paid £79 for 2 cars including home start.

D

Deleted member 27989

Just make certain you know what you are getting. Check out the fair use policy which limits the number of call outs. Those without their own fleet generally do recovery not roadside repairs! So you will still end up with extra repair and diagnostics bills.

I have gone back to the rac after some surprising incidents. I always got home but then still had to fond somewhere to get it fixed.

Don't forget online discounts and quidco cashback.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
When is your insurance renewal due? I recently changed my insurance to RAC (bizarrely they were the best quote) and it includes RAC breakdown cover FOC.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
When is your insurance renewal due? I recently changed my insurance to RAC (bizarrely they were the best quote) and it includes RAC breakdown cover FOC.

not for a while.....
currently i'm humming and harring between tesco's deal and the pay and claim back road...though i must admit the tesco deal seems a good one (i'm sure they can afford to lose the money just to get more customers)
...trying to motivate myself to wade through the terms and conditions to find out what all the service's actually mean in real terms.......hotels,train fairs and the like.

Digger

Hi Reevesy. Did you go with Tesco in the end? I need to get something sorted by Wednesday as I have a 2 day 840 mile round trip involving two different cars to look forward to :rolleyes:. Sod's Law and all that!

Tesco (Green Flag) full cover is £55, still appears to be a good deal.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
I've always used Britannia Rescue, but have always had a discount due to belonging to the CSMA (when I didn't work for BT and therefore be entitled to join we all did it in dads name, who also works for BT - as does my brother - keep it in the family!)

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Having worked for Green Flag before in a limited sort of capacity be aware they use local garages to where you break down not petrols like the RAC, AA etc.

Liam

D

Deleted member 27989

Having worked for Green Flag before in a limited sort of capacity be aware they use local garages to where you break down not petrols like the RAC, AA etc.

Liam

Absolutely I warned people about this before on this thread. Most of those el-cheapo ones do recovery only, no roadside repairs. I need it twice with a particular silly french car and the local garage that came said it honestly. They make more money performing a recovery compared to a repair....He didn't even bother looking. Then you have a faulty car near your house if it is out of hours and you don't know a local garage and have another job getting it to one....

The el-cheapo's are great when nothing goes wrong, but I prefer those with their own patrol even though they try to upsell parts you might not need...

Digger

So who would be recommended if you breakdown but your choice of garage/mechanic (reasonably priced) happens to be MUCH more than 10 miles away, maybe hundreds? Is this where the RAC/AA come in?

D

Deleted member 27989

So who would be recommended if you breakdown but your choice of garage/mechanic (reasonably priced) happens to be MUCH more than 10 miles away, maybe hundreds? Is this where the RAC/AA come in?

yes with them you at least stand a chance they attempt a repair at the roadside. Which is what I expect from breakdown cover. The other seem more recovery cover options. Now if you know the garage you want to be recovered to that can be fine because they will take you anywhere.

But for example I was my way from Liverpool to Telford. My peugeot cut out whilst driving just like that. The recovery lorry came and asked me where I needed to go. He did not know any peugeot garage near Telford, they had know relationship with another garage that could look at it the following day. Basically told me that he takes me anywhere. So I opted for home as otherwise I ended up in Telford with a broken down car and no garage to go to. Then phone around garages the following day to see who can look at it immediately, then call the recovery service again to get the car there. And when it arrived it was up and running within 5 minutes!

Never a cheap recovery contract again. It is just not worth the extra hassle compared to have a trained mechanic look at your car. Well worth the few extra quid when you need it.

$lim$hady

So I opted for home ....... Then phone around garages the following day ........ then call the recovery service again to get the car there. And when it arrived it was up and running within 5 minutes!

uh you can do that?
take you home then get them to take your car the next day..wow! service or what, but i guess that's the full package?

would you reccomend this on a 3 year old car? or is the idea to have a cheap package whislt the car is new then get the expensive package as the car get old.....?

D

Deleted member 27989

uh you can do that?
take you home then get them to take your car the next day..wow! service or what, but i guess that's the full package?

would you reccomend this on a 3 year old car? or is the idea to have a cheap package whislt the car is new then get the expensive package as the car get old.....?

I don't think you are supposed to do that but I did. Also be aware that most policies carry a fair use clause. So do it too often and you have pay extra.

I don't think the decision has anything to do with a new or old car. When you breakdown it is annoying enough. Also I am now on the 'expensive' one with rac. A joint personal with the works included except for European cover was only £114. So that is two of is covered for a year with two cars. I don't think that is too expensive.

Had a problem with my Pajero this morning, which has prompted me to join the RAC. I chose Solution 3 which costs £102 (including 25% online discount) & I bought it via TopCashBack which should recoup another £21.

SeanT

Distinguished Member
After all the above, the people I have cover with (Britannia Rescue)

(a) Will always recover the car to a place of my choosing in the UK when it breaks down and they can't fix it by the roadside.
(b) Towed my car to the hotel we were travelling to, and said that in the event that we couldn't source a new clutch cable and fit it (which we did) would tow us home after the holiday too.
(c) Will do practically anything on their most basic cover provided you are more than a couple of miles from your house, and it isn't a repeat fault (if the car is completely undriveable - eg. involved in an accident - they don't seem to mind if it is only a mile from home)

Wouldn't use anyone else now!! They even towed me back from coventry to my parents in peterborough with a blown up engine after they had towed me from castle coombe to coventry.... just have to be careful what you ask for though, not to make it obvious that you are abusing the service. Pretty good with older cars too, most breakdown firms won't touch the fiesta with a bargepole as it's over 20 years old (25 now!!)

D

Deleted member 27989

After all the above, the people I have cover with (Britannia Rescue)

(a) Will always recover the car to a place of my choosing in the UK when it breaks down and they can't fix it by the roadside.
(b) Towed my car to the hotel we were travelling to, and said that in the event that we couldn't source a new clutch cable and fit it (which we did) would tow us home after the holiday too.
(c) Will do practically anything on their most basic cover provided you are more than a couple of miles from your house, and it isn't a repeat fault (if the car is completely undriveable - eg. involved in an accident - they don't seem to mind if it is only a mile from home)

Wouldn't use anyone else now!! They even towed me back from coventry to my parents in peterborough with a blown up engine after they had towed me from castle coombe to coventry.... just have to be careful what you ask for though, not to make it obvious that you are abusing the service. Pretty good with older cars too, most breakdown firms won't touch the fiesta with a bargepole as it's over 20 years old (25 now!!)

They all do that as what you described is exactly the basic recovery service. But that is not the same as breakdown and roadside fix, and is dependent on you knowing which garage to tow it too....Which is great when you have an existing relationship with a trust worthy garage that also has secure storage that can be accessed out of hours (probably not required for a 25 year old fiesta), but if you are not or are in a strange area and are dependend on transport I would not recommend such basic service...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone