After reading reviews by MR Ed Selley, I have a question for him?

Gibby

Novice Member
Hello Ed, my name is Chris Gibb.
I am an ordinary working bloke living in a semi-detached house and trying to make the best choice of HiFi and surround equipment I can.

For a long time I have been yearning for a good stereo two channel amp so I can listen to music in all its glory. After reading lots of reviews by various people, I happened on your review of the Musical Fidelity M6500i which was brilliant by the way. With all in lockdown I had no way to hear this amp, but I know that all the Musical Fidelity line up are good quality. So I bought the new face lift version, the M6si500. Straight away I could hear layers within the music I hadn’t heard before.

So to my question, I am using M6si500 connected to my Kef R700 main speakers with two REL T7i Subs taking care of any low frequencies. I have a Denon AVR-X6300H connected via its pre-outs to the MF aux/ht in, which makes it easy to use for surround sound. Supplying the music to the MF amp is a Chord Qutest DAC receiving its signal from a Cyrus CDi player, or an Arcam Rplay for music retrieval from my NAS drive on the network.

I was thinking of speaker upgrade. I am a fan of clarity and preciseness, but don’t want the sound to be fatiguing. I also read two of your other reviews on speakers which seem to fit the bill. The Q Acoustics Concept 500 and the Focal Kanta No.2

You praised these speakers very highly so would seem to be a good partner for the MF amp, what do you think?

I am in no way discounting any other speaker brand that might fit the bill.

Regards,

Chris Gibb.

Orobas

Hello Ed, my name is Chris Gibb.
I am an ordinary working bloke living in a semi-detached house and trying to make the best choice of HiFi and surround equipment I can.

For a long time I have been yearning for a good stereo two channel amp so I can listen to music in all its glory. After reading lots of reviews by various people, I happened on your review of the Musical Fidelity M6500i which was brilliant by the way. With all in lockdown I had no way to hear this amp, but I know that all the Musical Fidelity line up are good quality. So I bought the new face lift version, the M6si500. Straight away I could hear layers within the music I hadn’t heard before.

So to my question, I am using M6si500 connected to my Kef R700 main speakers with two REL T7i Subs taking care of any low frequencies. I have a Denon AVR-X6300H connected via its pre-outs to the MF aux/ht in, which makes it easy to use for surround sound. Supplying the music to the MF amp is a Chord Qutest DAC receiving its signal from a Cyrus CDi player, or an Arcam Rplay for music retrieval from my NAS drive on the network.

I was thinking of speaker upgrade. I am a fan of clarity and preciseness, but don’t want the sound to be fatiguing. I also read two of your other reviews on speakers which seem to fit the bill. The Q Acoustics Concept 500 and the Focal Kanta No.2

You praised these speakers very highly so would seem to be a good partner for the MF amp, what do you think?

I am in no way discounting any other speaker brand that might fit the bill.

Regards,

Chris Gibb.
My initial question is... Do you like the kef sound that your R700's are giving and just looking to improve? If so... there are many Kef's out there that can fill this role and i think either @gibbsy or @Ugg10 can help best with this one..

it may be that the R7 is all thats needed here

Re that monster MF ... Look at the PMC series as the Twenty5 26 is typically partnered with the M6si500 anyway! But something like the 23 should be ok..

Me personally.. Russel K 120 or 150 for floorstanders .. Spendor A4... or the Dynaudio Special 40 on high end stands would fit the bill very very well!

Demo though is a must whatever you choose..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gibby

Novice Member
Hi Orobas, yes i do like the Kef R700 sound and maybe the Kef Reference 5's might be a good choice. I think I will have to book some listening sessions of various speakers. I will have a listen to the PMC's as you suggest.

Upvote 0

Orobas

Hi Orobas, yes i do like the Kef R700 sound and maybe the Kef Reference 5's might be a good choice. I think I will have to book some listening sessions of various speakers. I will have a listen to the PMC's as you suggest.
Ah thats handy then if you like the Kef Sound.. Like i say there are a few more experienced kef users on this forum that what i am.. they should look in here soon as i tagged them :)
Depending on what audio shops you have near you.. enquire on a home demo (there will be a sizeable security deposit i can tell you though ...) but that will give you the best possible experience

Upvote 0

gibbsy

The R700s are certainly a big speaker but the Reference 5s are going to be even bigger with a massive price tag to match and a huge step up in performance. If you are looking at the Reference Serie then the Reference 1s might be a better fit as you already have the REL subs. I would not want to run subs alongside the Reference 5s.

Fanthorpes have the Reference 5 with over £4000 off the list price.

Upvote 0

Orobas

The R700s are certainly a big speaker but the Reference 5s are going to be even bigger with a massive price tag to match and a huge step up in performance. If you are looking at the Reference Serie then the Reference 1s might be a better fit as you already have the REL subs. I would not want to run subs alongside the Reference 5s.

Fanthorpes have the Reference 5 with over £4000 off the list price.

and this.. @Gibby is why I tagged someone with alot more Kef know how than I have! Thanks @gibbsy

Upvote 0

Gibby

Novice Member
and this.. @Gibby is why I tagged someone with alot more Kef know how than I have! Thanks @gibbsy
The last time What HiFi held their show in Bristol, I was there listening to a pair of Kef reference 1's but they were supported by six, three each side REL reference Subs. They really rocked the room. I was not so impressed by the Kef 1's

Upvote 0

Orobas

The last time What HiFi held their show in Bristol, I was there listening to a pair of Kef reference 1's but they were supported by six, three each side REL reference Subs. They really rocked the room. I was not so impressed by the Kef 1's
A show room and a home room are very different! I know what you are saying though, hence the demo comments i made!
The main reason i tagged @gibbsy is thta i do believe he is a kef user himself with some of the higher end kefs in use.

Upvote 0

Gibby

Novice Member
A show room and a home room are very different! I know what you are saying though, hence the demo comments i made!
The main reason i tagged @gibbsy is thta i do believe he is a kef user himself with some of the higher end kefs in use.
Thanks for the info, I think I will listen to other brands using my Kef R700 as a starting point that all others will have to beat.

Upvote 0

3rdignis

Clarity and preciseness?
I wouldn't be without room eq.
:)

Upvote 0

Gibby

Novice Member
I see you have the Q Acoustics Concept 500, how good is their sound? Were you blown away when you first listened to them?

Upvote 0

3rdignis

I can confirm most of the comments from the reviews.
An in-store demo educated me somewhat but much more was revealed through weeks in home.

Do you have a matching kef set for surround sound?

Would your room/placement benefit from eq?

Upvote 0

Gibby

Novice Member
I can confirm most of the comments from the reviews.
An in-store demo educated me somewhat but much more was revealed through weeks in home.

Do you have a matching kef set for surround sound?

Would your room/placement benefit from eq?
I have a Kef R200c centre speaker, R50 Dolby atmosphere on top of the main speakers and an older pair of Kef iQ5's for surround back.

I can use the Denon amp with its external microphone to set up room EQ, but prefer altering the sound manually using a test tone.

Upvote 0

3rdignis

If you apply manual eq for surround, it may be of benefit for stereo.

There's an android mobile app to improve eq on the denon (remove BBC dip and customise target eq)

Upvote 0

gibbsy

I have a Kef R200c centre speaker, R50 Dolby atmosphere on top of the main speakers and an older pair of Kef iQ5's for surround back.

I can use the Denon amp with its external microphone to set up room EQ, but prefer altering the sound manually using a test tone.
I have almost an identical set up to you with R Serie all round including R50s. My fronts are driven by a Rega Elicit-R using pre-outs from my Denon X6500. I have fully utilised Audyssey as it has done a very good job of EQing both the Rega and my sub into the system.

Obviously running the Rega in it's stereo mode there is no EQ going on.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom