1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After reading for 2.5 hours, would appreciate some help?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by darrenmcg, May 23, 2005.

1. darrenmcg

darrenmcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Based on reviews written here and at Home Cinema Choice I've narrowed the choice down to 2 sets (in my price range :mad: );

1. Philips LX3900SA/05 for £136.36

I like the range of formats supported :clap:

2. Toshiba SD44HK-SIL for £149.95

I like the review on Home Cinema Choice online :smashin:

I'm but not sure on audio performance when using either set as a CD player, any advice would be appreciated :lease:

Either one would do, but I'm looking for the most "complete" system.

Thanks, Darren :hiya:

2. darrenmcg

darrenmcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody......? :rolleyes: I'm trying to make an informed decision before the end of the month. :confused:

Thanx, Darren :hiya:

3. johnbgorham

johnbgorham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    G'day Darren,

I haven't tried either system, but i've always found the best way to compare them is to put them side by side and listen toand watch them. The people who write reviews base their opinions on what they see and hear first of all, and no amount of functions etc will ever make up for lousy sound or picture quality.

Cheers

John

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi darren,

I am looking to get an all in one system for my parents - the Tosh SD44 looks good to me after reading some reviews - can I ask where you have seen it for £149.95?

Thanks,

5. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Darren, I agree with John. You really do need to see/hear them both in the flesh before you can make a truly informed decision. Is there anywhere local to you that stocks both?

If that's really not an option, then it's kinda tricky. If both systems are getting decent reviews then it's quite likely you'd get on with either. So I guess it's a case of 'pays your money and takes your pick'. :rolleyes:

One thing on the CD front though, all-in-one's aren't known for their great CD playback quality. My Denon 500 sounds ok to my ears, but then I don't expect fantastic things from it, just to a half-decent sound at a decent volume! But if this is of high importance to you, I'd definitely recommend you check them out in the flesh beforehand.

Good luck with your choice :thumbsup:

Jud

6. darrenmcg

darrenmcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late reply guys, was working in Switzerland :D.I bought the Tosh on friday but it's back in the box ready to go back tomorrow, thought it had a fault because I couldn't get any audio out through the scart. After scouring the manual, I found out that there is no way of getting audio out of this set, except through the speakers :mad: :mad:. This really is a pain because I use the scart signal thru Sky and VCR to shunt the signal around the house :clap: As far as the rest goes it does what it says on the tin, decent sound quality and picture. @ Lex, that price was from Richer Sounds :hiya:. Anyhoo I've opted for the Philips HTS3500S for £179.95 from Comet. From what I can see it appears very similar to the LX3900SA spec wise but has the added bonus' of Progressive Scan, component video and 400W rms:clap: Impressed so far....