1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After months of trying to decide, it is now on my wall !

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Daipac, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It has taken me a long time to make a decision but, at last, I now have a plasma mounted on my wall.

I decided on the 37PV500 in the end and from what I have seen so far, I am VERY happy with it.

I have NTL digital and my PS2 connected via RGB Scart and my Xbox connected via the Microsoft HD leads.

NTL is not great but that is very much to do with NTL and not the plasma. Watching DVDs through the PS2 seems ok too but I will be upgrading this when I can. As for the Xbox, WOW is all I can say ! Playing games in HD mode is amazing and the PQ between SD and HD really is like night and day !

:cool:

Now it is on the wall, it is not the best looking plasma in the world I have to admit and we all know that but the PQ is what matters and it looks great. I have yet to mess around with settings, apart from changing the picture to Cinema or Normal, but will have a play around with these once it has been run in for 200 hours.

After reading about the buzzing coming from the PV500, I also notice what you mean but it is more of a humming noise and to be honest, it doesn't bother me in the slightest as you can not hear it unless you are sitting very close to the screen. As I said, it is not a concern.

All in all, I am happy and I am sure that things can only get better.

:thumbsup:

A few quick questions. Would it be better to play DVDs through my Xbox through the HD leads? Would this give me a better PQ than using the PS2 ?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Better change your sig then...

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hi Dai, glad the bracket fitted!! I'd say the X-box will offer a small improvement over a PS2, assuming they are both on component leads. If the PS2 is on composite, the improvement will hit you in the face like a wet fish!

4. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah it fitted great, thanks for sorting that our for me ! Very much appreciated.

The PS2 is connected via RGB Scart off of AV4 at the moment.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    forget the wet fish bit then, but component is still likely to be better, even though RGB scart is good. I think they handle a component signal a bit better.

6. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I was watching Scrubs Series 1 on DVD using my PS2 via RGB Scart last night and I have to admit, there was quite a lot of solarisation on the clothes that they were wearing, especially when they are the same colour.

I am assuming that this is because I am using the PS2 as the DVD player ? As this was the same on the LG PX11 I used to have.

Going to be updating my DVD player soon tho which I am hoping will give me much better results via Component or HDMI. Is this a fair assumption ?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Pretty fair I'd say. It might also be a crap transfer being a US show. I'd go HDMI, then you leave component free for 1 of your consoles, unless you've got a component switching amp.

8. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am thinking it is a combination of the PS2 being a bad DVD player and also the quality of the encoding on the DVD.

I am looking to get an Oppo Digital OPDV971H DVD Player which has a DVI > HDMI output which is supposed to work very well.

Should I see a big difference using this player ? I have read some really good things about it and at a good price too.

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We used to have a PS2 as our DVD player, and it wasn't that bad! We now have an ES-10 which seems pretty good, and that's just on Scart. I'm not sure that getting a cheap HDMI player is that good an idea - many folk say that component may be the best on a budget. The exception is Pioneer plasmas, as their component inputs are apparently rubbish, so HDMI is then a good idea. YMMV.