Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

After Market TV/DVD Audi/BMW/Mercedes

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Mark Ward, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thinking of my next car purchase, since I've had nothing but trouble with my now 2YO Mercs, I'll most likely go for an Audi A6 Estate (Avant?) or BMW 5 Series Tourer.

One thing I'll definately be interested in would be an after-market DVD/TV option that uses the Sat/Nav panel in the front dash. I have to spend a lot of time hanging around (kids gymnastics, kids from school etc.) and like the idea of parking up with a movie. The crappy manufacturer analogue TV options are stupidly expensive and woefully inadequate (analogue TV & no DVD).

In an ideal world I'd like:- Dab Radio, MP3, TV (Freeview if poss but analogue ok), Multi-Region DVD fuctioning from the manufacturer's display panel. Is this possible or should I stop watching "Pimp my ride"? :D

Mark.

2. critch

critch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try clarion top end head units, they have built in touch motorised 7 inch w/s the new ones have dab, dvd, vcd, and plays copys and mp3, and has the faclitys to run 5 screens and a ps2, the added extras listed below which will have to be bought seperate inc tv analouge (which can be changed to digital once analouge is switched off) , and 5.1 dolby which sound which is awsome and loads others, my mate has one of these and they are fantastic due to the add ons clarion allow you to but for them, well worth the extra money as some others dont allow the 5.1 and are not looking to add digital tv tuners as yet but clarion have geared themselves for this

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the "Heads-up" on the Clarion. I was rather hoping to use the existing display screen if at all possible as it would be pretty redundant without this facility. I remember someone telling me it was possible with the Audis, but no idea how or what equipment would be needed.

I was also thinking that using the built in monitor would make it less likely to be a target for thieves than something a little more intergral to the car.

Can't see how Audi/BMW get theire analogue TV prices though. In order to get TV in the BMW you first have to upgrade to the Pro Nav system £1665.00 then pay an extra £680.00 for analogue TV! :eek: Remember, this is no DVD, No MP3, No DAB just Sat Nav that I don't really need (but could organize;)) & Analogue TV.

Audi's the same:- Need MMI (not sure of cost) plus £705 for analogue TV. They must be mad! I'd want a pop-up 32" TV for that price!

It's not the money per se, merely how little functionality you get for it.

Mark.

4. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Of course, you should also look at Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood and I believe Panasonic, as they all do 5.1 capable systems, in dash DVD players with and without screens, sat-nav and DAB capability through additional components etc. As to the existing factory display, I would be surpised if it wasn't something that could be hooked into the back of one of these via a suitable adaptor - I'm assuming it's nothing more than a standard touchscreen, and I know that at least one of the Pioneer models is capable of hooking up to a separate touchscreen.

You should do a google search for online dealers and ask the question of them to see what answers you get - quite a few sell various aftermarket adaptor kits for various functionality to existing factory fit kit.

You might also want to check which manufacturer supplies the audio/satnav stuff as OEM to the car company and work from there....

5. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My 5 series (Dec '04) , and I'm sure the new 3 series has digital and analogue TV.

6. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That's intersting... Still want to work out whether DVD would be possible though. I'm still undecided between the Audi & the BMW, believe it or not the TV/DVD options available to me could be the deciding factor.

Mark.

7. clived

clived

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mark, if you go 3rd party, where are you going to fit all this kit - the facias in both the BMW and Audi don't lend themselves to stuffing 3rd party kit in, and the integration with MMI or iDrive would be, difficult in general.

Do a search in the forum at www.e60.net for options on the BMW. mp3 replay is available today if you go for just the business nav, not the pro - will be available with the pro later this year. At least one person on the forum has integrated a 3rd party TV tuner and DVD replay trough the same interface is also possible. As a last resort, there is an official BMW "aux in" package which is fully integrated with the iDrive - i use it to connect my iPod.

It'll be a shame if you end up choosing purely on the media options. I drove both the new A6 and the 5 series, wanting to like the A6 and not wanting to like the BMW (my other car is a 340bhp slightly modified Audi TT ;-) ) but the A6 just didn't do it for me - I was looking at the diesels and Audi just don't have a product to compete with the 535d.

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the info Clive, I'm also looking at the Diesels. In-Car Entertainment won't be the only deciding factor. I hate driving anyway, I have 1 hour journey to & from work through speed-camera hell and I do a lot of miles so performance isn't an issue & fuel economy is.

As I said before I tend to have to do quite a bit of waiting around so entertainment is quite important, but I won't fit anything ugly or "bolt-on", I want an intergrated feel solution to the ICE kit.

Basically I don't need sat/nav but may need to include that to get the relevant factory fit screen. I just want to see DVD & TV from it. Looking at the hassle & prices a laptop/notepad PC may be the solution & forget in-car video.

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Mark.

9. roryw321

roryw321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Did you ever get an answer to this problem. is it possible to add a tv to MMI and use the existing Audi interface. I have a 56 plate 2.7TDi quattro Avant auto tip and love it!

Rgds
    Rory

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi, no I didn't get any further, in the end I decided that with portable DVD players being so cheap, and now subsequently ultra portable laptops and iPhones etc. It seems to me that a fixed screen in the car wouldn't be worth the money.

If, however there was a simple way to tap in to my lovely big screen for little outlay I'd still go for it.

Mark.

11. roryw321

roryw321
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply, i will continue to research and if I get anywhere will drop you a line