After Life Season 3 - Final Season (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

jotty

Gervais has never been funny and never will. He is a gob on a stick with zero talent and a throwback to the poor lot we had early 90's

Enjoyed the first season, less so the second and three just ran out of steam.
The pathos is still well done, some real make you think moments but the humour side of things left a lot to be desired. Just felt like he ran out of ideas and upped the profanity to cover it up. I’ve seen a few of his stage shows and they go exactly the same way, start well and then meander to the finish line.
He’s still a fine writer but I get the feeling he can be easily bored.

Valen

More importantly what happened to the Psychiatrist (Paul Kaye)! He was awesome!

1080 jawbreaker

the whole show would have been so much better imo without that Brian character as well as the wanna-be actor and promoter. Wasnt keen on the new intern either. Sandy was way better. Oh and Dennis Penis 🤣 So to round up, i thought half the cast was crap but still loved the show 👍

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
What gets me sometimes with anything British is the lack of thought, for example, the sign on the nursing home, it was brand spanking new, as though it was just put up just for filming, which obviously it was but the viewer shouldn’t recognise this. The headstone was just plonked there in front of the bench. Little things like that just look amateurish and irritate me.

nobby

some funny moments but as others mentioned the quality had dipped from season 1. But had to finish IMO and glad it did

SoundVision

After Life is a brilliant, funny tv show, with humorous characters, some taken from Ricky Gervais other tv show Derek, which is also very funny and has Karl Pilkington in it.
I like all 3 series of After Life and to me they are all very enjoyable.
One of the best tv shows on Netflix

Rolph77

The Office and Extras are both up there with the greatest British comedy television ever made.
After Life in my opinion is the best thing he has ever done, to be able to make the wife and I laugh so hard and cry so much in under thirty minutes takes something special.

Zarf2007

#Dogsh*tguy LOL

Zarf2007

The Office and Extras are both up there with the greatest British comedy television ever made.
After Life in my opinion is the best thing he has ever done, to be able to make the wife and I laugh so hard and cry so much in under thirty minutes takes something special.
Agreed, the office and extras redefined comedy and were sublime…I remember watching an interview with Harry Enfield when he admitted the first time he saw the office he was floored and wondered how his style of comedy could ever compete……I thought AL although weaker this season really did wrap it up well with the last episode. Love him or hate him I think Ricky has talent.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
In a recent interview Ricky talks of needing a good reason to do a season 3 of anything, and he believes he’s found that reason for AfterLife, I’m just struggling to see what it was.

Got to the final episode and wondered why we needed season 3. Felt very rehashed, nothing quite as vulgar topping as the shrink from Season 2 which was welcome relief, but on the whole a bit of a mediocre presentation with little left to offer. 6 seems fair.

Thanks for the review, Cas.
Paul Kaye’s shrink was almost whole heartedly awful in every scene, Was the only thing I didn’t like, tho was there the name calling in the pub? OK that was brilliant.. Other than that, I thought Afterlife was Ricky’s best work. It just clicked with me, and clearly Ricky thought this was the right show to a season 3 of.

But deep down, I always knew a 3rd season was a risk and changing the road it was travelling would be a challenge.

I’ve not seen this yet, and despite the so so reviews will watch it. Of course I will and should. But can’t help but think maybe a few extra episodes of S02 to tidy things up would have been better.

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Gervais has never been funny and never will. He is a gob on a stick with zero talent and a throwback to the poor lot we had early 90's
You do know of the saying different strokes for different folks?

Comedy is the decisive entertainment out there. No arguments, no one can deny this.

Yet you think typing that means anything to anyone?

Glad you enjoyed your minute of rant typing.

GT One

Ricky has signed a highly lucrative multi-year deal with Netflix so his fans should expect more to come from him, those who cant stand his humour or comedic style will be scratching their heads in wonder and I'm among them.

Fangface74

Only watched the 1st season, thought it was a weird bit of writing to have the main character kill a drug addict.

Like others said first series was sublime,not so 2 and 3 but still thoroughly enjoyable,and some lol moments binged watched 3 last night,now time for cobra Kai series 4 yessss

mikeb19

There was just no reason for season 3 at all. It was enjoyable but just unpicking season 1/2 and rinse and repeat

nufcfan1

Pretty much agree with the sentiment here. Season 3 had its funny moments, but overall the serious moments in this series just really dragged. I had much less sympathy for Gervais' character than previous series, although some forced redemption by the final episode I suppose. It was just too cloying, and sentimental for me, and yes the first two series were guilty of that as well, but I found them less annoying. Not great 5/10.

ShardsOfMe

Distinguished Member
Three poor episodes, one good one, two superb ones (in that order). So a 6 seems right. For me the squash court then hospital sequence was up there with anything in all three series, funny as hell.

Oh, and we get it: it’s okay to say c*** on Netflix; but sometimes less is more.

ShardsOfMe

Distinguished Member
Agreed, the office and extras redefined comedy and were sublime…I remember watching an interview with Harry Enfield when he admitted the first time he saw the office he was floored and wondered how his style of comedy could ever compete……I thought AL although weaker this season really did wrap it up well with the last episode. Love him or hate him I think Ricky has talent.
I was late to Extras and binge watched it. There is some great stuff in there, but it’s self-indulgent and Merchant is awful. More than this though, it’s predictable: in every episode Andy says something bad about someone, Maggie inexplicably repeats it to the someone or their associate, and much hilarity ensues… or doesn’t. Maybe that wasn’t evident in the original run, but bingeing it, it’s really obvious.

Ross Kemp was unexpectedly fabulous though.

russbeer

Oh, and we get it: it’s okay to say c*** on Netflix; but sometimes less is more.

I believe it from him as he uses it a lot in all settings but whenever you hear Lisa use it in the videos I find it hard to take in as I don't know any woman that uses that word.

ShardsOfMe

Distinguished Member
Only watched the 1st season, thought it was a weird bit of writing to have the main character kill a drug addict.
I forgot about that. No repercussions for Tony and then the whole drugs thing is barely touched upon again. “Weird” doesn’t begin to describe it 😉

Storvay

Distinguished Member
Spot on review, Cas.

I watched it because I had enjoyed the previous two seasons, the first far more than the second if I’m being honest. This had some lovely moments but I just felt it was more of the same. It was definitely enjoyable but not strictly necessary.

6.5/10 for me as an average with a couple of really good episodes.

symphara

We finished watching it last night in the inertia of the previous seasons, but honestly, if they brought another series, we wouldn't bother.

The quality of the comedy has dropped dramatically, I thought there were so many unnecessary and perplexing scenes with mean characters (like "the lads" or the very loud rich gay guy), even the baby scene, that were unfunny and boorish for the sake of it.

Some of the previous characters have simply disappeared and the arcs of most of the people presented in this third season didn't quite make sense or they were just not important or funny and worthy of screen time.

There's only so much we can watch a guy moping and looking at seemingly endless high-quality videos of his dead wife.

It also made it so painfully obvious: if they only had a child, he wouldn't have had the time for all of this. Which of course goes against Ricky's life philosophy...

For me, 4/10. An uncharacteristic failure for Ricky Gervais who's otherwise extremely talented.

southak

One of the worst shows I’ve ever had the misfortune to sit through. It’s like they thought “let’s take everything good about The Kominsky Method - the a list cast, the great acting, sharp writing, and genuine warmth and humour - and replace it with Ricky Gervais calling everyone a ****”. Ricky Gervais isn’t funny. He’s sharp, observed, witty, dry and opinionated. I love him in real life on the subjects of racism, animal cruelty and especially religion. But a comedy writer/actor he ain’t. Enough of the David Brent schtick already.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Cleer Audio announces Arc earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones