After Life Season 3 - Final Season (Netflix) TV Show Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I binged the first two seasons last week and watched this third season on Friday and Saturday night. Not as strong as the first two, but a great final episode.

NatTheGooner

He should’ve left it at two series, some truly awful scenes and characters and it takes the story backwards if anything.
4/10

davidm

I thoroughly enjoy the 3 Series. This was probably weakest with the final episode by far the strongest episode in Series 3 as stated.

7 out 10 for me as it had some genuinely funny moments throughout, with that final episode to cap it all off.

brad123

Can we ask (spoilers alert please) is there any sad dog incidents in the 3 series, wife gets really upset so had to ask.

CaroleBaskin

Distinguished Member
In a recent interview Ricky talks of needing a good reason to do a season 3 of anything, and he believes he’s found that reason for AfterLife, I’m just struggling to see what it was.

Got to the final episode and wondered why we needed season 3. Felt very rehashed, nothing quite as vulgar topping as the shrink from Season 2 which was welcome relief, but on the whole a bit of a mediocre presentation with little left to offer. 6 seems fair.

Thanks for the review, Cas.

Tim2049

Although I rate The Office and Extras pretty much 'as good as comedy gets', the way Gervais pushes sentiment in After Life is far too heavy footed in my opinion. It's just way too sickly sweet.

He perfected the balance in The Office, slightly overstepped in Extras...& then completely shat the bed with Derek and every single one of his films, but that's a different discussion).

russbeer

I thoroughly enjoyed series 3, not as much as the first two but it would have been hard to beat those. Maybe an hour and half Christmas style special like he did for the Office and Extras would have been more suitable in hindsight but its worth more than 6 out of 10.

clydebest

Distinguished Member
I find the 27 mins of each episode fly's by, unlike a good deal of Netflix other content.

melonhed

Although I rate The Office and Extras pretty much 'as good as comedy gets', the way Gervais pushes sentiment in After Life is far too heavy footed in my opinion. It's just way too sickly sweet.

He perfected the balance in The Office, slightly overstepped in Extras...& then completely shat the bed with Derek and every single one of his films, but that's a different discussion).
It's because he doesn't have Merchant. I've ALWAYS thought he was the better TV writer.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your review you make some points which I agree with. I found it very funny. And there's some great humanity in the writing in the moments he is sitting on the bench when talking about loss, grief, life and hope with his friend that think everyone can agree with. This has been present through all the seasons. Of course its juxtaposed against his stand up rants, being angry and over using some obscenities..but then again..anger is part of grief and of course ...his charactor. I think the success of the first 2 seasons has made way for the trilogy...but it just about avoids outstaying its welcome. As long as that's it!

Last edited:

thedude

Distinguished Member
I think his portrayal of a man with grief is amazing. There are so many areas that resonate. Some of the words just perfect.
Losing someone that special to someone must be immense. And the story they portray of that is great

Some days you don't want to get out of bed or face the world, he picks a lovely moment to talk about being happy and not actually being happy happy. It's perfect.

As for the final episode I hated the walk away down the field but the rest was perfectly watchable.

mrapbp

I can only assume this 3rd season was done for the money. Written fairly quickly I would imagine, films it down the road from where he lives and gets to spend some time with his friends. Easy payday I guess….. Certainly didn’t add anything new or different and just felt lazy and pointless. As others have said the last episode was decent and would have worked as a 1hr wrap up episode.

GhostRider17

I think I must be the minority here as I LOVED this season, just as good as the other two but maybe not quite as many laughs, though a couple of scenes had me nearly choke on my coffee with laughter. It was a good finale and every character seemed to get a good deal of closure.

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Not sure Ricky Gervais needed the money. I think he has a measly £50mil+ spare.

Didn’t enjoy this season as much as the first 2 but I am glad it’s all wrapped up. I watched the first 2 seasons twice but I don’t think I’ll ever revisit it again. Too much of a rollercoaster emotionally. That’s been the brilliance of it all along though.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
I can only assume this 3rd season was done for the money. Written fairly quickly I would imagine, films it down the road from where he lives and gets to spend some time with his friends. Easy payday I guess….. Certainly didn’t add anything new or different and just felt lazy and pointless. As others have said the last episode was decent and would have worked as a 1hr wrap up episode.
Just listened to a radio clip with him and, whilst he did poke fun at the fact that the pay cheque has gone up with each season, he’s basically done with it now and needs to move on.

I think he knows when to call time and I don’t think money is the biggest motivator for him.

He’s no Bruce Willis.

melonhed

I can only assume this 3rd season was done for the money. Written fairly quickly I would imagine, films it down the road from where he lives and gets to spend some time with his friends. Easy payday I guess…
Tbf, hasn't that been the situation for all he's done in the past few years?

mrapbp

just because someone is wealthy doesn’t mean they dont do things just for the money. Most very wealthy people I have met spend most of their time figuring out how to accumulate more wealth. I just cannot see any other reason why he made this season. It wasn’t very good and really didn’t need to be made.

VivaE

I'm an eternal fan of Gervais for 'The Office' and 'Extras', both in my opinion absolutely sublime writing and execution.

I do feel though that as much as I liked and enjoyed so much of 'After life', it would have benefitted and been a much better watch had Ricky stuck to the writing and allowed someone a bit less abrasive and a bit more likeable to be cast in the lead role. He just carries a load with him that his acting abilities strain under and I just didn't find his character or his grief credible.

I agree with the earlier comment that Steven Merchant gave him and his writing a very essential balance.

Last edited:

wigglygiggly71

Loved season three, started weak but soon picked up. Final episode was fab and wrapped the whole thing up nicely. Season three - 8/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches new Go bar portable DAC/headphone amp
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony adds LinkBuds S to its earphone series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
T+A announces Solitaire T headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-M20xBT wireless headphones