After fan and heatsink cleaning, display on my Hi-Fi System doesn't work

Edem

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize in advance for my English. I have one problem with my Hi-Fi stereo system. Yesterday I went to clean the fan, so I had to disconnect the motherboard and with it all the ribbon cables, when I cleaned the stereo system, I connected everything back, but after turning ON stereo system, the display and VU meter no longer works. I did not catch the display during cleaning, so I rule out that I caused the damage. When I turn on the system, all buttons works. The music plays normally, but it bothers me that the display with VU meter doesn't work. I posting photo here. I searched the internet for what could be causing this error, but I didn't find anything. Therefore, I ask for your help, I will be very happy for any answer. My Hi-Fi is: Panasonic SC-AK520 (blue) with 300Watts RMS

236463003_1689721261418759_754168005400188115_n.jpg

All I can suggest is that you check the ribbon cables and the corresponding connectors are connected correctly and pushed fully home.
As to you “not causing the damage” I presume it was working before you took it apart?

Yes, display worked before disassembly.
Thanks for the reply, I'll check all ribbon cables again.

All I can suggest is that you check the ribbon cables and the corresponding connectors are connected correctly and pushed fully home.
As to you “not causing the damage” I presume it was working before you took it apart?
Hello,

I've checked again my Hi-Fi and I noticed quite a few other things. I found that the ribbon cable was fine and I pushed it all the way in, but display still doesn't work, but I noticed another thing. I found that the power button is still lit when system is turned on(photo). Previously, while my display was still working, the button went out when the system was turned on. When the system is turned on, the other two buttons, SUBWOOFER and SUPER SOUND EQ, light up, which is fine, but the light on Power button should turn off. Can't advise me what the mistake might be? Thank you very much!
239873388_600450514280835_1655788935380561408_n.jpg

No, I'm sorry but this is a man-made fault and only you can retrace your steps and check for damaged cables etc.

Last edited:
No, I'm sorry but this is a man-made fault and only you can retrace your steps and check for damaged cables etc.
Hello, today I checked ribbon cable with a multimeter and found that the cable is OK. So I don't know what to do next. The display was fully functional before cleaning and I didn't catch it during cleaning, I just disconnected it from the motherboard and reconnected it after cleaning. I didn't find anything on the internet about my mistake, so I don't know where the mistake is. Looks like I probably won't solve this problem anymore. I'll continue to search internet for more information about it. I guess nothing else is left for me now, just to play music without a display. Thank you very much for your help and patience. Have a nice day!

If you did not earth yourself when handling the mobo, it's possible that static may have damaged it. Other than that I don't know what else to suggest, apart, that is, from following what @JayCee has said.

If you did not earth yourself when handling the mobo, it's possible that static may have damaged it. Other than that I don't know what else to suggest, apart, that is, from following what @JayCee has said.
Hi, I have already handed over the Hi-Fi system for repair to experts, I will hope that it will be repaired. When the Hi-Fi system returns to me, I will write if the display works.

Hi, I didn't expect that so fast, but I already have a hifi stereo at home (in garage)! I'm very happy that it was fixed.

The problem was overvoltaged board (or something along those lines). I don't know how it happened, but they fixed it. Now it works like a new! Thank you so much for help!
27-Aug-21-11.04.jpg

Ha! They probably just found a loose/dislodged cable and refitted it!

Still, you got it back working again :lesson:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom