1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After all the hype is anyone happy with pixel + 2?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by a2themutherk, Dec 8, 2004.

1. a2themutherk

a2themutherk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm really interested in buying the Philips 28 pw9509.I've demoed the 32" version in my local comet store and while the still pitures are the best i've ever seen there was a lot of break up on fast moving scenes.My question is:Has anyone who has bought one of these sets been able to eliminate this break up or any other picture faults through the menu's by tweaking the various picture modes etc.Is anyone actually happy with the performance once a fair amount of time is spent setting everything up?

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Mike,

I hope someone with Pixel +2 can reply in detail, but my understanding is that none of the various picture processing systems can cope with really fast moving action.

The current state of the technology, at least in the domestic field, just isn't up to it.

That's why you can switch them off! :cool:

3. Goggleyes

Goggleyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

IMHO questions about PP2 are immaterial until Philips gets it's head around the vertical bar problems on the 32PW9509 - 2 dark bars and more irritating still, the bright bar in the middle, plus other rubbish dotted around
    the tube. All very visible as VERY dirty window syndrome when the camera pans.

I imagine this is a software problem, though I've seen bright bars on lots of Panasonic sets too (but not all). The dark bars can be seen to move with the image when switching between 4:3 and 16:9, so they are not tube related - bright bars more difficult to categorise.

Please put me right if someone has a 9509 without this fault or has had one fixed.

When PP2 is working well it's certainly worth having and you get less sensitive to its shortcomings over time. The moral is: that you have to be prepared to switch it off when it can't cope. Movie Plus (actually PP1.5 I think) is often more appropriate for, yes, movies and 100Hz copes with everything, its just that when back in 100Hz
    you wonder where all the fine detail has gone and you can see individual horizontal scanning lines - yuck.

In summary, I think the TV has yet to be made with a resolution boosting engine that can cope with everything. The technology certainly exists, eg. DVDO Scalers, but its just too expensive to be incorporated in a standard TV.

PS.

My wife thinks the picture on the Philips is fine, though she can see the faults - horses for courses.

4. a2themutherk

a2themutherk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Guys,
    Thanx for the replys.Goggle I must admit i didn't notice the 2 dark bars or the bright bar in the middle but then i only demoed it for a short time.Can you update the software as in DTV boxes??Has anyone else been able to see these?What exactly do you mean by "Dirty Window"?Man,if they can sort out these problems the picture would be awesome.Next time i dem this i shall ask to try the various settings.Shame about movie plus only being pp 1.5 as i watch more dvds than tv...kind of defeats the object.I also like kung fu movies which have a lot of fast movement so it could be a problem.Oh well,lot to think about.

Cheers,
    Mike.