1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After advice regarding Audiolab 8000M's

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ghammond, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ghammond

ghammond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!

I new to this forum... I'm surprised I;ve not come across it before actually. Anyway

I'm in the market to buy a couple of audiolab 8000M's. I have one or two questions regarding them.

I have seen lots of references the serial numbers that the units carry. E.g. D or F. This it seems pertains to the year of manufacture.

So my first query is does any one know what the differences are between the different versions and what noticable, audiable difference that might have.

Secondly. What pre-amps have people tried with these and with what sort of results? Should I look to buy an 8000Q or is there a pre-amp out there that might provide a greater degree of listening enjoyment?

Help!

Cheers

Grant.

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Grant

Welcome to the forum.

With regard to your second question I used to have 8000M's driven by an 8000Q, very nice sound. The Q is a very good pre-amp for the money, you would need to spend a fair bit more to better it. Have you considered 8000MX's rather than 'M's' they don't have coupling capacitors between the stages so have a cleaner more open sound.

If you don't have any joy finding some monoblocs send me an email I may be able to help.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pair of M's on wee-bay at the moment. Might bid myself! better than a single Tag 100P??

4. ghammond

ghammond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I'd noticed those too... but they're serial number is in the 'D' range... I wonder if it's worth waiting and paying a little more for a nice set of MX's?

5. NeilS

NeilS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't know how much your budget is but you can pick up an early Tag AV32R or DPA32R very cheaply now and certainly for digital sources they are miles better than the 8000Q.

Again Tag amps are really cheap right now an much better than the audiolab ones. If you can stretch to it then you wouldn't be disappointed.

Neil