1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After a perfect partner for my Viera

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MarkF, Dec 17, 2004.

1. MarkF

MarkF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a Panasonic Viera and DMR-E55 DVD Recorder. I want to add a surround sound system for a price of about £350.

My dilemma is; do I go for a seperate amp and speakers, or do I go for an all-in-one system and use the DVD recorder with my older 28" WS CRT in replacement of my old Toshiba DVD which is getting long in the tooth.

Whichever solution I go for I really would like it to blend in with the Viera and stand, so no big black boxes, and preferably the speakers should be of the tall-boy variety.

Multi-region support is a must too, as is progressive scan (enable/disable), component out, and the ability to read a range of media if a new DVD player is used.

I realise that i am unlikely to get a seperate amp and tall boy speakers for £350, but am aware that Panasonic do an amp with smaller satellite speakers for this price.

On the all-in-one front Panasonic, JVC and Toshiba all seem to have a good selection. I just don't know what to go for.

Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be much appreciated. :lease:

Many thanks
    Mark

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I like my own Denon 500 system which has won a lot of awards and would recommend that to you. However, you mention Toshiba - I have just read a good review in this month's What Hifi and Vision mag on a Toshiba SD 44HK £250, they gave it five stars so it may be worth you having a look at that.

3. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I went for a Panasonic SC-HT870 with my 42" viera and for under £300.oo
    i am more than happy. It doesn't do PAL progressive, but i turn progressive
    off on the Entertainment system, use component leads and the picture
    is great. Im actually using this over preference to a £400 panasonic dvd recorder which i have.

Sound is also good, the sub is loud and so need's turning down a notch to blend in wit the speakers.

So all in all a happy chappy.

4. nashb

nashb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anthall, does the system have wireless rear speakers and whats the sound like for movies?

TIA.

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33