After a bit of advice - Connecting XBOX 360 with Projector

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by samini, Dec 28, 2011.

1. samini

samini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Right I have ordered a Optoma HD600X-LV with 84" Screen. For the audio side of things, I have a Marantz MCR603 and M/A BX2's.

My setup will basically comprise of the projector, which will be fed two separate sources from a Mede8er and XBOX 360. Both will connect via HDMI in to the projector and will use a splitter box (as it only has one in on the PJ).

My issues have become apparent when it comes to the audio, I have one long audio cable which will run the length of the room from the amp to where the mede8er/xbox will be. I have a splitter box for the audio to run both at the same time and to mimise wires, but I'm not sure how to connect the xbox to it? It only has the HDMI running out to the PJ, but no audio outs? I have another big block which came with the xbox called a component HD AV cable but will this still be HD as it only has the RGB components coming out from it?

I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for any help
    Sam

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    As I understand it you will use HDMI for video and the AV cable for audio only i.e. ignore any video connections (yellow on composite, green/blue/red on component video). If you have to extend the audio cable you will need some RCA couplers to join the red/white cables to a phono cable. I hope that makes sense.

3. samini

samini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah the cable looks like it will do the job, but I want to check that it will be in HD as it doesn't look like your usual HDMI cable? Its this one...

Microsoft Component HD AV Cable Xbox 360

I have ran an extension for the audio cable so thats all sorted.

4. samini

samini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've done a bit of searching, should be okay... just need to wait for the projector and screen to turn up now! Its going to be a long few days

Have a good NY, cheers for your help Dave

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,503
    It is HD but you won't need to use the video side. Just use HDMI for video and the red/white cables on the AV cable for audio only.

Happy New Year to you too!

6. samini

samini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You don't need to on these.

Well I have the earlier 360, and you can't connect both the HDMI and HD AV cable both at the same time... the ports are too close, they did it like this on purpose for some reason?!

All I have to do is use the RBG and red/white audio connections. There is a switch on the side of the cable which says HD/Normal TV. It should play 720p with just this cable alone :)

7. monkeyfist

monkeyfist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536