After 10 years, my Fujitsu PDS5001 is now dying....

agileboom

Standard Member
so my question is: what do I replace it with?

I loved my plasma like a family member and the set has seen the majority of use via Sky, Xbox/360, PSx, and Cube/Wii. In the last 2 weeks, the blacks and greys started failing to illuminate in wide bands, however, for me 10 years for that set is a good return regardless of the prices of 50" plasmas in 2001/2.

As a long time lurker on these forums, I am aware of LCD/LED and I have checked a few other plasma threads which seem to point former Fuji owners to a Sammy xc7000, however, I am open to suggestions.

While I would prefer something lighter than my set's 45kg and what I believe to be hungry power usage, I would assume tech advancements in the last 10 years has improved those 2 attributes for plasmas.

Thanks for your time!

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
so my question is: what do I replace it with?

I loved my plasma like a family member and the set has seen the majority of use via Sky, Xbox/360, PSx, and Cube/Wii. In the last 2 weeks, the blacks and greys started failing to illuminate in wide bands, however, for me 10 years for that set is a good return regardless of the prices of 50" plasmas in 2001/2.

As a long time lurker on these forums, I am aware of LCD/LED and I have checked a few other plasma threads which seem to point former Fuji owners to a Sammy xc7000, however, I am open to suggestions.

While I would prefer something lighter than my set's 45kg and what I believe to be hungry power usage, I would assume tech advancements in the last 10 years has improved those 2 attributes for plasmas.

Thanks for your time!
The 64" D8000 plasma is pretty damm good. Not badly priced either and can be had for around £2299 thats if you want to go up in size. There is the 51" D8000 which is also pretty good but with the Samsung it seems the larger panels produce better blacks.
Motion is great, colours are stunning, these sets have a great light output and gaming is joy. I have a PS3 and Xbox and love playing my RPGs and FPS games on the huge 64" screen, weight wise its 35kg without stand 38.3kg with stand.
These sets are can also output 3D so its a little bonus (Avatar in 3D looks awesome).
If your interested in calibrations there is a whole host of options to play with.
Hope this helps mate.

agileboom

Standard Member
Cheers for the info. I will have a look.

To further clarify, cost really isn't a factor though my lounge size will be a limitation which will at most accomodate about 70", otherwise I risk the wrath of the missus.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the info. I will have a look.

To further clarify, cost really isn't a factor though my lounge size will be a limitation which will at most accomodate about 70", otherwise I risk the wrath of the missus.
:laugh:
I hear ya mate.
The 64" D8000 fits nicely in my room...unless bigger and just as good comes out in a few years then it will be replaced :D

agileboom

Standard Member
Sounds like a nice setup!

My only alternative thinking on plasmas was waiting for the new OLEDs next year. However, I don't think I'll be able to last that long since the image defects are now very noticeable for me when playing games like Forza\GT5 or watching a film.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom