Affordable LED Projector with LONG LIFE changable bulb?

PerfectBlue97

Can anybody recommend an affordable (cheap) LED projector with a long life and a changeable bulb?

Overall picture quality isn't really important, as the source media that I'm looking to play is low quality (Compressed SD) and will look poor no matter how good the projector is. If the projector can display VHS quality it will do (some content may literally be VHS).

My main criteria is that the projector be cheap, and that it have both a long bulb life and a changeable bulb. I need something that will last for a long time and when the bulb does go I want to be able to replace it rather than buy a new projector.

I don't need any fancy features, no sound, no remote, no up scaling, just long life for little money.

Extra weight given to recommendations form people who've actually used the equipment.

PerfectBlue97

Why would you need to change the bulb? Even with it on 24hrs a day at estimated 30,000 hours continuous running would mean at least 3 1/2 years. Take a look at this thread. Not even sure if it's a fixed bulb or not as it's not something I would consider.
LG PF80G 1080p full led projector | AVForums
I don't really trust the whole "30,000" hour estimate, especially not for a cheap projector. I've used several professional projectors where the bulbs have lasted less than a year of light use.

I also consider that a manufacturer who produces something that is not user serviceable is either selling you a disposable product that is designed to break just after the warranty finishes, so that you buy a new one, or they intend to make a lot of money servicing your products.

PerfectBlue97

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
To be honest mate non of the cheap LED projectors will be bright enough for that not even the £1k one. There is a true LED Sony but you are talking £2.5k but it's a beautiful home cinema PJ.
I would look at a high lumen regular Data PJ and just have to plump for a new bulb in a couple of years.

PerfectBlue97

To be honest mate non of the cheap LED projectors will be bright enough for that not even the £1k one. There is a true LED Sony but you are talking £2.5k but it's a beautiful home cinema PJ.
I would look at a high lumen regular Data PJ and just have to plump for a new bulb in a couple of years.
I've used regular projectors before at the bottom end of the scale, and to be honest, when it comes to replacing the bulbs, you might as well throw the projector away and buy a new one, because by the time you come to buy a new bulb that model is no longer being manufactured and the bulbs are almost as much as a new projector. Which is probably better than the one that you have, anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions, anyway. As I said in the first post, I'm not looking for quality home cinema. I need something that will play low quality SD videos, but will last forever.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom