1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affordable & decent DVD recorder for 436XDE?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by yellowpostit, Aug 31, 2005.

1. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, with a 436XDE winging it's way to me soon, I should have the funds to fork out for a new DVD recorder by Christmas. At the moment I've got a Philips DVDR75, which has been fine for my Philips 32" CRT, but I was looking for suggestions for something with playback that would do the PDP justice. Does anyone have any views?

The general criteria are:

- most importantly, playback that will do the panel's resolution real justice
    - reasonable size HDD
    - decent connects, doesn't have to be HDMI
    - don't mind which formats it records
    - no need for built in freeview (assuming I can 'pipe' out f/v from the PDP)
    - £300 ish, or less

I know it's a tall order, and I know this isn't the DVD recorder forum (I'll post there instead if anyone feels strongly about it), but any tips would really help get my research started.

Or perhaps you reckon I should just get my self a dedicated player?

Cheers a lot
    ypn

2. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump :smashin:

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Panasonics range are nice, prog scan even from the lowest ones, try ebay for some great prices

4. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Be a little careful with the panasonic dvd recorders. I had one (DMREH50) as a part of the package with the plasma. When i opened the instructions, they stated that it couldn't record onto a DVD (either directly or from the hard drive) in widescreen format, only 4:3. :thumbsdow I think that's rubbish - even a VCR will records in widescreen, so i took it back.

I swapped it for a Pioneer DVR-433H-S, which works well and is a little slimmer also. On standard record mode (2h per disk) there is no difference beteen source and recording for Cable TV, when played on the plasma. I saw it in Selfridges for £350 a month ago.

Mine is in a seperate room as i have a dedicated player for the plasma, so can't vouch for PQ of the recorder for normal DVDs (although it looks good on a 24inch CRT).

Perhaps its worth getting a very cheap dvd recorder for £100 from Curry's then getting a dedicated player later on ? Maybe someone else could advise on this.... :confused:

Cheers

5. meltonboy

meltonboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +375
    Ahh, just seen you have a Philips already, so i suggest the dedicated player route. With the quality of TV signals, i cant see the point of ugrading your recorder. Beware though, my dads Philips recorder packed up after 18 months...

6. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0