1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affordable & decent DVD player for 436XDE?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by yellowpostit, Sep 2, 2005.

1. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, with a Pioneer 436XDE plasma within my reach, I should have the funds to fork out for a new DVD player by Christmas. At the moment I've got a Philips DVDR75, which has been fine for my Philips 32" CRT, but I was looking for suggestions for something with playback that would do the PDP justice. Something around the £200 mark +/-. Does anyone have any views? It doesn't have to have HDMI output necessarily, as I know that's no guarantee of better PQ.

Cheers a lot
    ypn

2. SuziB

SuziB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I really dont understand some people's logic of spending £2500 o a monitor/tv but less than a tenth of that of the primary source for movies and music - it makes no sense.

Am sure someone will argue there isnt a great deal of quality difference between dvd players but there is based upon my listening tests, arguably far more than on tvs. I have already ordered the 436XDE and will be matching it with the VSX-AX4AVi-S and DV-989AVi-S, together with MA Radius, 4 x R270, R225 and R360. If I couldnt have afforded the whole system, I would have compromised all round - on the TV, speakers and electronics. If my budget was around the price of the 436XDE and a £200 dvd player, I would go for a £2000 tv and £700 DVD player.

Obviously, people make their own choices but as reat as the 436XDE is likely to be, if it's purely snob value there are lower cost alternatives eg Loewe, Sony etc

3. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    suzi, i could not agree more. The bigger the screen get, the more a cheap dvd will show its limitations!
    To do justice to 2.5k plasma, you need a quality DVD player. But peoples interpretation of quality is the main problem. Some think a £50 dvd player is good quality and some think a £800 dvd player is poor quality!

4. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    totally, but I've only got so much money, and I can't afford hi-spec stuff all at once. So it's a hi-spec screen for now, future-proof-fantastic, and a "let's see if I can get a bit more out of DVD for now, on my limited budget, until I can afford something nice, or something nice is cheap" strategy. I'm not paying £2200 for a 435XDE (the pio's suite me - style, media box, trustworthy, rated), when a 436XDE is a few quid more. I'm asking for some friendly advice, not a slating.

5. calsam

calsam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool down dude, no one is slating you. They have, unstead, given you very good advice. Having gone down the same route as you, all I can say is that Ive learnt a hard lesson - hi spec big screen flat screens do not mix at all well with bargain basement dvd players. I paid £4k for a Loewe Spheros and thought I would use a £300 dvd player on the basis of saving up for something better' - result, the screen showed up every single imperfection in the source (ie dvd player). Dreadful experience. Seriously, you would be better off spending less on the plasma and more on the dvd player.

6. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    "if it's purely snob value there are lower cost alternatives eg Loewe,"
    I agree with some of the sentiments but I don't understand why Loewe would come under snob value ( B and O yes.....)

7. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  8. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    My experience might be of interest: I bought a Panasonic DVD-S97 to go with my 42PV500. PQ via HDMI was fabulous, but I ended up returning the player because I wasn't happy with the multiregion fix. So I bought a reasonably high-quality RGB Scart cable for my old Toshiba SD-230, and guess what? I don't notice a significant difference in PQ! The Toshiba player delivers a significantly better picture via RGB than component -- at least with my display.
    I didn't have a chance to do a direct side-by-side comparison of the two players with a test DVD (I've got DVD-Discovery from Burosch in Germany), but based on my impressions after two weeks with the S97, I don't feel like it's been a significant step backwards to go back to the SD-230.
    Since the Pananasonic and Pioneer HD-ready PDP's all do a fine job of de-interlacing and upscaling, I suspect that there are many DVD players out there that provide a decent RGB or component signal for maximum viewing pleasure. Of course, many people value various extra features (DVD-Audio etc. etc.).

9. Pisky

Pisky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think expat has hit at least one of the nails on the head. I'm in the same position as yellowpostit having decided to buy a Panny TX26LXD500 but afraid the current Panny RV31 DVD will be a let down with the new HDTV. I have considered the Sammy HD945/50 but have taken note of several comments about build quality, audio quality etc. I can sympathise with yell as I think he is trying to get a really top notch HDTV, as having to replace such an item in a short time would be very costly. There is another important factor which I have only recently discovered....the new generation of HD DVDs will not play on any current players. So for me that is a good reason to wait a while before consigning my RV31 to the bin. Maybe I will also buy a good quality scart for the RV31 as a stopgap.

10. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    what about the Oppo ?