Affordable amp for B&W 602's

alexnorman

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought some B&W 602's. My amp is ancient at best and the speaker cabling won't even fit into the back of the amp. I am looking to buy a new one and would like some advice on the best value for money amp that will be sufficient to handle the speakers.

I am not fussy on buying brand new, just would like some advice on some good make and model's.

Any advice would be much appreciated

How many inputs do you require, what are your listening habits and do you require a remote control, or any other specifics? I ask as if your answers were 1, average to lowish volume and no.. then the Mini-T from Amptastic could be right up your street. I have first hand experience of the B&W 602 with the Mini-T as I own both.

This amp isn't without it's draw backs, it's is lowed powered and only has one input, it may also be a little shrill sounding for some tastes but for £65 brand new delivered it's pretty hard to beat. It's a tiny little thing and very well finished.

If you're after a bit more power and inputs I'd suggest you look for a 2nd hand NAD or Rotel, something along those lines.

average volume but it will get cranked every couple of weeks or so. I need 3 inputs but i have no real desire for a remote. The 2nd hand NAD's i have come across, i get confused by model and age. I am basically worried if I buy another older amp i am going to have the same problem as I do now with the modern speaker cables being too thick. What's the oldest i should really be looking at to support the speakers?

I will just maybe take a punt at a NAD and check the Rotel. Thanks for your help mate

Budget is first and foremost, with out it we have no framework for our recommendations.

Also, any other restrictions, requirements, or preferences would be helpful.

In very basic amps, you can get the Denon PMA-510 45w/ch for about £140 (try RicherSounds.com). You can get the slightly more powerful Yamaha AS300 with 60w/ch for a modest £159 for PeterTyson.co.uk.

But again, we need a budget to guide us.

Steve/bluewizard

I was thinking between 100-150. I have just had a look at that Yamaha on petertyson it looks spot on. I will splash the £9 over budget for the extra power :) thanks very much for your help - I want to listen to my speakers so much i was nearing a panic buy on ebay

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom