• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Affect on AVR when using different ohms of speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1(FH) setup?

totalz

Standard Member
Planning to buy a new AVR (probably Onkyo) for a 7.1 FH setup.

The 1st question would be Bi-Amp 5.1 or Front High 7.1?

But the major concern is all my speakers have different ohms, and I wonder how's that affect the amplifier?

The Front L & R are 8 ohms, Center is 12 ohms, surrounds are 6 ohms, Front Highs are 6-8 ohms! Obviously, the amp is set to use 6 ohms speakers.

Is this a bad idea?? If so, how bad and why?

cheers.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The different ohms should not be an issue. However keep the amp set to 8ohm. There is no benefit to having it set to 6 and it can reduce sound quality.

Davek0974

Personally speaking, having set my room up for it, I would definitely go for front highs using Dolby PL2z

I find it gives the sound from the front a much larger area, exactly as it's name suggests.

Of course, if you only have a TV then sound this 'big' may not be appropriate, but on a projected movie it really draws you in.

totalz

Standard Member
Thanks guys,

@dante, great thread, good read.

@Davek0974, which AVR do u use with DPLIIz? I only have a 50" plasma, from what u suggest, may be I can simply put the FH speakers on top of the wall mounted plasma? It seems the Onkyo NR609, especially NR616 has a lot of problems. What's good choice for around $600-700?

Davek0974

I have the TX-SR608 unit.

The book reckons the front highs should be at least a metre higher than the front surrounds so that should be do-able I reckon, it really does open up the front soundstage.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom