AFDM & the AVR3802

Zog

Established Member
Reaction score
Please could somebody expalin the pros and cons of having the Flag Detect mode switched on/off.

The instructions recommend OFF, but I'm unsure.

I currently have a 7.1 speaker set-up.

Leave it switched OFF and then just manually switch ON & OFF the surround back speakers.

Basically the AFDM is there to automatically switch ON the surround backs when it detects a flag encoded on the dvd disc. Unfortunately only a handful of discs have the flag on them, most of the films that are EX encoded don't. Most DTS ES Discrete tracks do have the relevant flag though.

As I said, it's better to just leave it OFF and switch the speakers manually. :)

But am I not right in saying that if I switch it ON if gives you the option to Matrix an output from the surround back channels?

So with 5.1 you get 6.1 Matrix and with 6.1 you get 7.1 Matrix.

Just bear in mind there is no 7.1, all it does is just produce the same mono EX/ES signal out of the two surround back speakers.

When you switch ON the surround back speakers the amp will use matrix processing regardless of whether the track is 5.1 or 5.1 EX, DTS ES Matrix. A DTS ES Discrete encoded movie (true 6.1) will automatically playback in this format if the surround back speakers are switched ON.

The Denon will also give you the option of MATRIX OFF when you have the surround back speakers switched ON (just press the 6.1/7.1 button twice). All this does is just produce the surround left info out of the surround back left (same for surround right) simultaneously i.e NO EX/ES decoding.

So if I understand you right It might be better to have the AFDM ON as that enables me to matrix the surround back channels. That way it will matrix something out of the surround back when nothing is present (DD 5.1 or DTS) and play a true 6th channel through both surround back speakers when that is present (DTS-ES Discrete).

Or are matrixed surround back gonna bugger up the quality of true 5.1 sound?

Nope, leave the AFDM OFF. Just manually switch the surround back speakers on when you want to use matrix processing or have the sixth channel for DTS Discrete discs. It's the switching ON of the speakers that engages the matrix processor (assuming you press the button just once, it will show on the display as MATRIX ON).

If you want to leave the surround back speakers switched ON then do so, it can enhance normal 5.1 discs quite well, but it will vary from disc to disc. Sometimes all the surround info will collapse to the surround backs too much so it's case of experimenting with stuff really.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom