AFC Wimbledon - We're finally going home!!!!

nabby

Distinguished Member
Wimbledon's Plough Lane return approved by planners - BBC News

After 24 years of "exile" from Wimbledon, Merton council voted unanimously tonight to allow the football club to build a new stadium in Plough Lane.

As a fan of the old Wimbledon since 1986 and a fan of AFC Wimbledon since it was founded in 2002, I'm sitting here in tears with a big smile on my face!!!

nabby

Distinguished Member
Indeed. You're both right.

The old stadium, on the corner of Durnsford Road and Plough Lane, was demolished and is now a residential development with flats.

The new development will be on the site of the existing greyhound stadium, about a 5 minute walk down Plough Lane from the old stadium site.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
I'm confused...

1/ Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes and become MK dons
2/ Disgruntled Wimbledon fans start up AFC Wimbledon and stay in Wimbledon

So, presumably, AFC Wimbledon weren't playing in Wimbledon's old ground then?

SBT

Banned
Yes, bangers and stock cars.
Have great memories of that place, my dad used to take me bangers as a kid.
I'm confused...

1/ Wimbledon move to Milton Keynes and become MK dons
2/ Disgruntled Wimbledon fans start up AFC Wimbledon and stay in Wimbledon

So, presumably, AFC Wimbledon weren't playing in Wimbledon's old ground then?
No, they built flats of their old ground. AFC play at kingsmeadow apparently.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Confused also, do you mean MK Dons (the original Wimbledon )are moving back to Plough Lane or are AFC Wimbledon moving from KIngsmeadow to Plough Lane?

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Right, so AFC Wimbledon are now a big enough club to play at a new ground on the site of the old Wimbledon ground.
I get it, I think...

SBT

Banned
No and no :laugh:
They are still a small club, and the new stadium will be just up the road from where plough lane was( flats built on it now) at Wimbledon stadium, former home to speedway/bangers/greyhound racing.
I'm confusing myself now :D

FZR400RRSP

Banned
Right, so AFC Wimbledon are just a 'bit closer' to the site of the old Wimbledon.
How far away are they now?

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Do AFC ground share with Kingstonian?

arenaman

Great news, I just hope my club can manage to move back to the town into a suitable ground again and eventually get back in the football league, doubt it though

FZR400RRSP

Banned
5 miles away from your preferred area isn't exactly a lot, but it's another 'London thing'.
5 miles can mean you're in a different area and encroaching on another club's turf.
Whereas in cities with fewer clubs, not an issue to move the ground 5 miles.

SBT

Banned
So actually they are Kingston Dons?
No, although I have no idea what the fans call the club tbh.
'The Dons' was the nickname of the original Wimbledon fc. They moved and became a Milton Keynes football team. I suppose they kept the 'Dons' part as a reminder of who they once were? I'm not 100% sure tbh as I'm not a Wimbledon fan, Nabby can probably tell you more about the history of the club than I can.
I only ever went to plough lane a few times, I remember them more when they shared with Palace.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
'The Dons' was the nickname of the original Wimbledon fc. They moved and became a Milton Keynes football team. I suppose they kept the 'Dons' part as a reminder of who they once were?

That bit I remember, and that is correct.
Could have been worse, I remember Sam Hammam was considering Ireland at one point!
Now that's a trek for a home game....

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022