AF/EF fittings

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mrtn, Aug 16, 2006.

1. mrtn

mrtn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Iam looking at a sigma lens for the 350d i may be getting shortly (it says Canon AF), will these fit the 350d or do i specifically have to buy the EF/EF-s style fittings?

Martin

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    AF and EF are interchangable terms for the same thing. AF just mean Auto Focus which all EF and EF-S lenses are. The only lenses you wont be able to use are FD ones which are manual focus only lenses and wont physically fit on an EF mount

3. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Basically true, but i'm a bit of a pedant so this is the full deal:

Sigma use the term "Canon AF" to mean an autofocus lens designed to fit a modern Canon EOS camera body.

EF means (or is as good as) Eos Fit. Meaning that it will fit any Canon EOS series camera, whether it be an EOS-1 or an EOS-350D.

When Canon released the EOS-300D, they also introduced the EF-S (EOS-fit Small??) mount. Electrically, it is the same as the EF mount, but because of the reduced size of the sensor and mirror, smaller optics can be used for lenses, saving weight and cost. The EF-S series of lenses is INCOMPATIBLE with the full size and mid crop cameras (1 Series and 5D) as they do not fit into the mount on the camera to protect your mirror (and even if they would not hit your mirror when it raised, they would cut the corners off your pictures, also know as vignetting)

Not all FD MOUNT lenses are manual focus, the legendary Canon T80 used the AC series of lenses, which had autofocus and an FD mount. But generally, FD lenses are indeed manual focus.

There are some Canon lenses with the modern EOS mount on that are NOT autofocus, however the only ones i know of are the Tilt Shift lenses, which are preceeded by the designation TS-E (Tilt-Shift EOS fit i presume) instead of EF.

Err yeh.

Just buy the Sigma with the Canon AF fit, and you'll be laughing.

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Indeed I had forgot about the Tilt & Shift lenses. I didnt realise at all about the AC series of lenses on the T80 which in a geeky kinda way is actually interesting :D .

I should get out more shouldn't I :(