1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aeshtetics - Opinions Sought

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nheather, Jan 23, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,189
    I finally settled on my 'budget' home cinema. I appreciate that their are better out their but my mind is set now. I'm going for

Mission m31i for fronts (in Beech)
    Mission m30i for rears (in Beech)
    Mission ms8 sub (in Silver)
    Mission m3c2i centre (in ????)

The centre is a vinyl wrap MDF and is quite a shapeless rectangular bulk - 165x430x230 (mm) (HxWxD).

I can get the centre in Silver or Beech. Initially I thought that this would most obviously be in Beech - in isolation I think it looks nicer.

My wife then introduced her interior design experience:

The AV stand is likely to be a SoundStyle XS310 which is silver metal and grey tinted glass. All the electronics is silver as is the Plasma TV that will hang above it. My wife strongly feels that since the centre will sit on top of the AV stand, it clearly should be silver.

I take her point, but can't help coming back to my opinion that in isolation the beech looks better than the silver. I've told her it's quite common to have wood centres on these types of stands but when asked to provide examples I haven't been able to find any pictures.

As a quick opinion poll, what do you guys think - silver or beech.

The other question (although I think its a non-starter) is that my wife as seen pictures of the basic Mission centre, m3c1i. She thinks this is much nicer because of it's slimmer curvier looks. I had dismissed this one because I feel the m3c2i must have better sonics but I find it had to describe this to my wife in a way in which she can understand (especially as my belief that the m3c2i is better is largely speculative).

So opinions also - I'm I right to think the m3c2i is much better technically than the m3c1i.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. wispamint

wispamint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was in the same boat as you and in the end went for the M3C2, and never looked back ( got it in beech)

3. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,189
    Lion & Wispamint

Thanks for the comments.

Out of interest what sub are you using. I bought the Mission ms8 but it is still in the time period within which I could return it.

I chose the ms8 because its band and budget was in keeping with the rest of the system and I liked it compact size.

I've tried it and it stereo music and it sounds alright to me but to be honest this is my first sub and I'm not sure what to expect.

I did consider the m3as and the ms10 but was put off by their physical size.

Is the ms8 okay (for my system) or should I chnage it for something else.

Cheers,

Nigel

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    SILVER.
    The m3c2 will be better than the m3c1 ,i went through the same thing with the m7c2.
    Or the beech if its got a silver cover.

5. wispamint

wispamint
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No sub as yet, still saving ;o)

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    The M3c2i is sonically much better than the c1i - and if it is going on a AV stand there is no benefit to it being thinner - its not as if you can push it to the back and put something else infront of it!!

I had a similar issue of silver or beech for my M7c2 - at the time I didnt have an AV stand but knew it would be a silver & glass affair and likewise all my other components are also in silver. In the end I finally decided to go with the beech as:

1) All the other 'silver' on the stand/equipment is 'actual' metal and I felt that the non-metal silver of the speaker would stick out like a sore thumb and potentially look 'cheap'

2) With the grill cloth on (the M7 series look butt ugly without them imo) it would never blend in with the rest of the kit and so might as well 'make a feature of it'

3) With hindsight looking at the front 3 speakers all in beech they do look good together - I think it would actually look a bit odd with the middle one all of a sudden being a different colour to the other 2

Having said all of that sometime we must bow to the superior interia design knowledge of 'she who must be obeyed' especially if it allows you to aquire higher grade kit - "yes hunny that Alba CD player is cheaper but dont you think the Cyrus CD8x over there would look better near the sofa?" :D

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'll have to agree with your wife - I personally don't like wood-coloured speakers in the midst of silver kit, so it would have to be silver for me.

Balders.