Question Aerial works via freesat box, but not directly into TV

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by JonnyR, Jul 14, 2015.

1. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sky dish on the roof, although I cancelled Sky 3 or 4 years ago. There are 2 cables coming from the dish, sort of 'stuck together', which can be pulled apart.

For years I've had a Humax freesat HD box wired up to one of those 2 cables, and this has happily served TV to my Panasonic TV in the lounge via an HDMI cable.

I've just got a Sony Bravia KDL-55W829B and put it in the cellar as a second TV. I drilled a hole through the lounge floor and put cable number 2 through, thinking that it could go directly into the Sony TV and all would be well. The plan was (is?) Cable 1 with the Panasonic via the Humax box upstairs, Cable 2 directly into the Sony downstairs.

However, the Sony completely refuses to find any channels, analogue or digital, scanning on antenna or cable. I'm convinced I had the antenna properly connected.

To test it wasn't cable 2 that was dud, I took the Humax box downstairs, connected it to the Sony via HDMI, and stuck Cable 2 into it. Lo an behold, it works fine.

How can I get my Sony TV to find channels if I directly plug it in - is the cable somehow 'good enough' to work with the Humax, but not 'good enough' to work directly with the TV?

I'm confused! Any help gratefully received, thanks.

[Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I wasn't 100% sure where to put my question.]

2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    It sounds like you are connecting a satellite dish feed to your TV's aerial socket.
    Your TV has a terrestrial TV tuner in it (for Freeview etc.)..
    The TV's aerial socket requires a terrestrial TV aerial and should then pick up digital TV.
    I assume your Humax box has a satellite tuner built into it (unlike the TV).

3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    In the absence of a terrestrial aerial the OP would have to connect some sort of satellite box to his second TV.

If it was me I would transfer the Foxsat-HD to the second TV and replace the box on the first TV with a Humax HB1000S (adding a usb hard to this would allow freesat recording).

If the Sony has a screwed f connector input, it will have a generic free to air satellite tuner. If so it should be able to view all the channels on the Foxsat HD (and more) but will not have the Freesat epg.

4. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the replies.

The TV has both a terrestrial and a satellite input - in one of the Amazon reviews of the product it says:

I placed a terrestrial aerial into the terrestrial socket and it works well, gets freeview channels including HD ones and looks great!

However, I'm still confused as to why the satellite one did nothing when the box works fine with that cable?

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    As the TV has a DVB-S and DVB-S2 tuner then it ought to be able to tune in via the second feed from the lnb on the dish...

BUT.... First check that the second cable feed works by connecting it in the Lounge to the Humax ... it may be faulty.

IF it is OK then check the wiring between lounge and basement for faults... stray whisker of wire. It may be that the existing thin shotgun cable and a lossy extension loses too much signal..

IF it still doesn't work check if it does relocated to the lounge (so avoiding the extension cable).

NB the cable and connections MUST be the F-plug type Satellite, Television, FM, DAB, Aerial, Coaxial Cable, Plugs, Sockets, Connectors & Leads and plugged into the satellite connector of the new Sony to work. If it has been terminated in a TV plug and put into the terrestrial aerial connection it would give the result of 'no chennels found'!!!

6. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rodders53 - thanks for that. The second cable that goes down into the cellar defo works ok as I connected it to the Humax and then to the Sony and it worked fine. There are no extension cables being or adapters being used - it's the screw F-type. It's not a long way to the cellar - it's directly under the lounge. Cable 2 just goes from the wall where it comes in from outside in the lounge, straight down into the cellar through a hole about 1 foot away from the wall, then into the back of the Sony which is about 6 or 7 feet away from the hole in the cellar ceiling.

7. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    So you are saying that both feeds from the lnb work ok... checked on Humax and the new Sony TV (in the lounge).

One of the two lnb cable has then been simply pushed through the hole in the floor and the Sony relocated into the basement and now it doesn't work...

Therefore I must conclude the cable has been damaged in pushing through the floor and / or in re-plugging into the Sony... or the TV has developed a sat tuner fault during relocation.

Check for a bent or broken centre conductor in the f-plug in the Sony? (It's quite easy to do this :blush: - especially if fitting the plug into the socket 'blind').
    Remove the plug and re-make the connection to try again?
    Perhaps cut off a short length (few cms/inches) to remake if needed?

8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    Sony don't document the presence of the fta sat tuner on UK sold models. Presumably the setup required is buried somewhere in the setup menus. There's a thread on this issue, on this forum somewhere.

The OP appeared to confirm the Foxsat-HD worked on the second TV using the existing extended cabling.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The setup isn't overly obvious, no, Graham, but I did just get it to work.

I put cable 2 back into the Sony and this time it found some channels and then seemed to stop. I waited a while and then put the cable back into the Humax > Sony, and this failed (this had worked previously). So it was the cable after all. I cut off 6 inches and reattached the connector and now it works fine directly into the Sony and it found a load of channels.

Thanks everyone for helping me out!

10. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +963
    https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KDL-55W829B/list is off the UK and says it has the satellite tuner(s)...

The OP also stated in #6 that he connected the cable to the Humax and then to the Sony and it (the cable and TV?) worked OK...

EDIT: Slow typing/posting by me :facepalm: missed the OP's response that the cable fault has been rectified and all is working... Great!!:clap:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  11. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    My guess would be that you bent the centre connector flat when putting it into the Sony. The wire is pretty thin and bending it instead of getting it 'into the hole' is quite easy to do.

12. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's a weird one, I don't *think* that happened as it was still happily poking out but you never know.

Anyway, onwards!

13. TJT1

TJT1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,141
    And if it's working now, who cares?

14. JonnyR

JonnyR
    Novice Member

Products Owned: