Aerial Woes

Rudzki

Evening all,

I'm having great difficulty with my living room TV and getting it tuned in to Freeview.

The TV is wall mounted above an (unused gas) fireplace and the RF socket is on the wall directly above the TV next to two mains plugs.

The problem I am having is that as soon as the TV is mounted on the wall the signal almost completely cuts out aside from 5-6 channels. I have never ever come across this issue (and I work in AV repair), I can stand and hold the TV in front of me off of the wall but as soon as I walk forward towards the wall the signal cuts out.

At first I thought the aerial could be at fault but I cannot see how this could possibly be as it works fine when the TV is not mounted.

Thus far I have;

• Replaced the RF socket on the wall
  • Replaced the coax cable
  • Tested the mains sockets with a socket and see (passed)
  • Tried the TV on another aerial point in the house (worked fine)
  • Tried the TV with a different mains lead (because why not).
This is driving me insane, any help is MASSIVELY appreciated.

Cheers! :thumbsup:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Have you tried another TV on that aerial outlet?
Is there any equipment connected to the TV by HDMI cables? If there is disconnect it at both ends then see if the TV signal improves.

Rudzki

Have you tried another TV on that aerial outlet?
Is there any equipment connected to the TV by HDMI cables? If there is disconnect it at both ends then see if the TV signal improves.

Sorry, I should've mentioned that. Yes I've tried another TV and that has the same problem, also the coax cable is the only thing connected.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
You've said you have an RF socket on the wall so you must be using an RF Flylead between it and the TV.
Is it a shop-bought one or one you've made up yourself?
Have you tried another one?

NatTheGooner

There must be some electrical “noise” that is being picked by the TV or cable. Is the coax a digital type cable i.e. shielded, not the old brown stuff. What’s on the the side of the chimney?
its a weird one that’s for sure.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Does the aerial lead in the wall pass close to the TV bracket mounting screws? If you've nicked them during installation then loading up the bracket could cause enough movement to affect them.

Do you have any other TVs or screens with VESA mount fittings in the house? Perhaps try connecting the lead to a TV on the floor and then loading the bracket up with the other screen.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
That another TV on the same outlet acts the same when mounted on the same mount suggests a common problem.

The "nicked cable on the wall mount fixing screws" is certainly one possible cause.

What makes and models of TV?

Are any other connections made (hdmi-connected devices)? Hdmi to coax cross interference is a well known issue. Hdmi devices need not be on for signals to be passing along the cables.

I'd be interested to have readouts of the signal strength quality meter(s):
1. connected to another known good outlet socket.
2. connected to fireplace socket but off the mount
3. as 2. but on the wall mount.

Ideally for all 3 or 6+ multiplex frequencies, in case there's a pattern. Also need (approx) location or the transmitter being watched (for transmit powers and estimating reception signal levels available).

BTW which 5 or 6 TV channels seem to work OK on the wall?

More info on the aerial and any splitters and amplifiers may also help. I'm thinking this location may be working on direct cable pickup (not from an aerial at all) and then the TV panel screens the cable from the signal when on the mount?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom