Aerial upgrade question

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by AMc, Mar 16, 2006.

1. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,269
    I have sockets in two rooms with wiring buried in the walls and poking out over the front door. I can't replace or add to the buried wiring.

I added a wideband, high gain TV aerial, a C shape FM aerial and a masthead diplexer on the roof. Then I ran a single downlead to a splitter where the buried wiring exits the building feeding dipexer faceplates.

This works OK for FM, analogue and DAB with a simple booster, but Freeview is prone to interference.

I think I need to add a mast head amplifier - because the wiring is unreplaceable (and I don't have a loft) I need one that will output to 2 downleads and accept a DC feed to one leg (as I can't provide DC through the splitter as it would 'power' the other socket.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a masthead amp that will diplex the TV and FM signals into both downleads and accept DC on one leg - that would be ideal.

Alternatively one that can be put 'after' the existing unpowered diplexer would be fine too, but I'm assuming that fewer links in the signal chain would be better, especially at the unamplified end.

Many thanks for looking!

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,269
    I'm hoping someone can recommend a masthead amp that will diplex the TV and FM signals into both downleads and accept DC on one leg - that would be ideal.

Or a supplier I can look at?
    Anyone got any ideas?

3. phil woods

phil woods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try these guys www.dastv.co.uk i needed a 4 way masthead amplifier for 4 DTT points and went for a Labgear model it was excellent. However if you require to combine the UHF and FM and only amplify the UHF i would mount the masthead amplifier close to the aerial to reject as much noise as poss. Then about a metre away use a UHF / FM diplexer with DC thru power on the UHF side. This will work a treat you could also go one stage further and use a UHF / DAB / FM triplexer for future DAB upgrade.

4. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,269
    Sounds good, I got a terrible quote (>&#163;250) when we first moved in and wanted an aerial fitted so I DIYed it (<&#163;50) but skimped on the masthead amp. When I fitted it (in summer on a warm day) everything was fine, but when the winter set in the Freeview started to splutter.

In the absence of any other posts I've bought an Antiference kit (amp and power supply) http://www.antiference.co.uk/mastmulti.htm The OX4 has inputs for FM and TV and will output 1-4 feeds. It takes power from the '1' output so I have to remember which downlead that is when I connect it up!
    I'll put it on the roof when it stops raining :)

I got the kit from www.cpc.co.uk - just under &#163;35 inc VAT so I had to buy some F-connectors to push it over the limit from free shipping.

Thanks for the advice!

5. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  6. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. phil woods

phil woods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just been on the TV Aerials site and look very expensive i need a Sky minidish and they want £ 30.00 !!! i can get Sky to fit one for £50.00 supplied and fitted anyone know where i can get one cheaper.

8. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking about the UX4 being cheaper. If you want a cheap dish then look on eBay, less then £10.

9. phil woods

phil woods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Richard yes the OX4 does look cheaper than Satcure, do you know if the OX4 has f connections or the old style saddle and clamp?

10. richardys

richardys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea sorry.

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,269
    The OX4 I got from cpc has saddle and clamp connectors on the amp and normal co-ax connectors on the power supply. I was expecting F-connectors on both but I don't know how substantial a difference it would make. As my signal is 'nearly there' I'm hoping a little loss will be OK.

BTW - TV Aerials charge &#163;6.99 shipping bringing the total cost to &#163;36.98 I paid &#163;39 (inc) with CPC but I know if I order in the morning they always deliver to me the morning.
    If I'd been a bit more attentive and got my order to &#163;35 excluding VAT, shipping would have been free but I had a funny moment and looked at the inc VAT total (doh!).