Aerial splitters

Tony Norton

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

does anybody know whether or not aerial splitters should have a series resistance built in.

I have recently purchased both a 2 way and a 3 way splitter.
The 2 way reads at 0.6 ohms, which I assume is actually a direct connection between input and output.
The 3 way reads at 76 ohms, this is confirmed by the presence of 3 resistors mounted internally.
Why is there difference?

I want to split a single input across 3 devices; 2 TVs and a Humax FVP-4000T, none of which are further than 2 metres from the source. I also have a Virgin V6 box but that, of course, is connected via cable.

At present my 3 way device seems to be working O.K. but would I be better off with a combined 3 way and signal booster?

We are based in Bournemouth and have a good strength signal from the Rowridge transmitter.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Best Regards
Tony Norton

Resistive splitters aren't very good. You can't measure the impedance of a splitter with a DC meter other than ones only using resistors.

For designs that use inductors the DC resistance is low, at UHF frequencies it will have an impedance of 75 ohms.

Thanks for your response Graham. I guess the manufacturer of the cheapo 3 way I bought (£4) thought that sticking in 75ohm resistors was a shortcut to something that may, or may not, work. I don't know the system used by the 2 way and, as it is a sealed unit, I can't get in it to check. Perhaps the small resistance reading I got indicates that there may inductors in there. Is there such a thing as a properly manufactured 3 way with, or without, a signal booster. What do you reckon?

One option I have may be to split the virgin cable input and feed the Humax and the V6 from that.

Cheers
Tony N

The best way of ensuring everything works out well is surprisingly enough the more expensive. The powered isolated buffer amplifiers with multiple outlets are the best. Failure at any outlet including open and short circuits will not bother the other outlets. With such a device there is no signal loss or potential for reflections . The other types, will have an insertion loss of at least 50% .. 2 way or 66% 3 way or 75% 4 way. So can deplete your signal strength rapidly.

Reflections are important only in that they used to cause ghosting on analogue signals , but can cause BER data faults in digital data

Thanks to Dannielll and JayCee for the info. I had assumed that, because on the Humax box setup menu there is an "Aerial/Cable" option I would be able to connect it to the Virgin cable. Then I had a good look at the back of the box and found there is no cable type connector. Wonder why they offer the setup option?

Tony N

Cable systems in other countries may not be encrypted like the Virgin network. They may still be analogue delivered in which case they could work with a Humex box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom